I think we can all agree that “Avocado Toast” is one of life’s greatest culinary simple pleasures, yes? Take some toasted bread, a ripe, buttery (healthy fat-filled) avocado, some optional seasonings and such and your perfect snack is born.
Now I won’t lie. I usually generously sprinkle (drown..) my avocado toast in seasoned chili salt and pepper because that is how I love it. But okay yes, even plain au natural, salt-free avocado on toast tastes delish. And for today’s post I’m featuring another low sodium way to serve up avocado toast. This toast is brimming with bright sunny flavors of basil, lemon, nutty walnut, pepper … and of course avocado. Meet my Lemon Avocado Toast with Nutty Basil Pesto.
Take your favorite snack to another level by trying my salt-free pesto dressing drizzled over top. PLUS a giveaway I’m taking part in. This recipe is part of Sodium Girl’s Recipe Rally for low-sodium recipes. I was happy to take on her low sodium challenge. So… enter to win a VITAMIX! (I know you guys love smoothies and Vitamix recipes just as much as me!) All the details ahead..
Low Sodium Recipe Rally with Sodium Girl. I was super excited to take Jess’s low-sodium challenge and apply it to one of my favorite recipes. I knew that i could pump up the salt-free flavor by using fresh flavors like lemon, pepper and basil. LOVED this version of one of my favorite snacks. And loved giving my salt shaker a rest 🙂
Some amazing sodium facts from Jess (get more on her Recipe Rally post):
* The recommended daily sodium intake for a healthy American is 2,300mg, which equals 1 teaspoon of salt
* The recommended daily sodium intake for over 50% of adults (due to health problems, age, and other needs) is 1,500mg, which equals just over 1/2 teaspoon of salt
* Nine out of 10 Americans (that’s 90%) eat almost double the recommended daily intake, averaging over 3,500mg per day
Favorite Lemon Avocado Toast + Nutty Basil Pesto
vegan, serves 2
1/4 cup raw walnuts (or try almonds or pine nuts)
1 lemon, squeezed
2 pinches fine black pepper
1 pinch cayenne
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp hot water
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional for cheezy accent)
3 slices spelt toast (or another variety of crusty sliced bread)
1 avocado, sliced
micro greens as garnish
extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1. Add all pesto ingredients to a blender or food processor, blend until smoothed, but still a bit nutty. Like a thick hummus, but with texture.
2. Slice your avocado and toast your bread.
3. Assemble! Add the avocado to your toast – add some EVOO over top and extra lemon if desired. Then drizzle .. No wait, DROWN your avocado in delicious pesto dressing. Add micro greens and pepper over top. Serve and enjoy this LOW sodium avocado toast.
Details for the VITAMIX giveaway below.
Recipe Rally Vitamix Giveaway – enter below and be sure to “like my page on Facebook to entered to win” .. if you already like me you are good to go!.
Giveaway goes live -> Tuesday, February 12th at 9:00AM PST (ends promptly on Monday February 18th, 2013 at 12:00Am PST)
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Winner must be a US resident in order to win. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to email to claim prize before another winner is chosen. The name of the winner will be announced on SodiumGirl.com and the Rafflecopter Widget once the giveaway has ended. More rules can be found here: http://www.sodiumgirl.com/vitamix-giveaway-disclaimer/
*Vitamix provided to Jess/Sodium Girl. This is not a sponsored product or review post.*