Dainty snowflake-covered trees and a chilly frost in the morning air meant I simply had to make vegan muffins! But this time I wanted to wake my husband up to the delightfully intoxicating aroma of citrus, melted chocolate and spice. I used sweet clementines instead of oranges to make these muffins sweetly sing.
Chocolate Chip Clementine Spice Muffins
vegan, makes 12 muffins
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger powder
dash of cayenne
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup soy milk
1/3 cup grape seed oil (canola works too)
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup chai tea concentrate (or more water)
5 clementines (juice 3, dice 2)
2 tsp clementine zest
optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup vegan buttery spread
sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line your muffin tins.
2. Combine all your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Add in your wet ingredients and fold well until smooth.
4. Fold in your chocolate chips.
5. Spoon muffin batter into the tins. Top each muffin with a dab of vegan buttery spread and a sprinkling of sugar.
6. Bake at 375 for 18 minutes or until the edges of the muffins brown and crisp.
7. Cool. Serve warm.