Vegan Philly Cheese
This simple vegan Philly Cheese sandwich is made using a sizzling skillet of bell peppers, seitan and lots of vegan cheese. Stuff mixture into warmed Hoagie rolls for an instant hearty, meatless meal!
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced red or green, or both
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/8 tsp black pepper + salt to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne or use smoky paprika or chipotle powder - for heat
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup seitan unflavored or flavored - if using flavored, you may not need any additional salt, pepper or spices
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese any flavor you'd like - choose a brand that melts well
- 2 large hoagie rolls
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced optional
- 1/4 cup cilantro optional
Prep your rolls and warm in the oven to toast. Tip: brush inside and/or outside of bread with olive oil if you'd like.
Add oil to skillet and heat over high heat.
Add peppers, onions and optional jalapeno. Cook until the edges begin to blacken and the onions begin to caramelize. Add in the spices, pepper and salt.
Transfer this veggies to a plate.
While pan is still hot, add another small splash of oil and add the seitan strips. Saute until the edges blacken. Then add the veggies back into the pan and top everything with cheese. Warm until the cheese melts.
Add the filling to the toasted rolls. Garnish with the fresh cilantro. Serve hot!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 909mg | Potassium: 286mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2778IU | Vitamin C: 116mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 3mg