Vegan Chicken Soup
This soothing vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is just like mom used to make, but as a plant-based version. Carrots, celery, spices, parsley and potatoes and pasta. Comfort food meal.
- 4 cups no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups water add to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped - medium
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large carrots sliced into rounds
- 1 1/4 cups celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups potato chopped - any variety
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pasta any variety
- 1 cup Beyond Meat chicken-free grilled strips or tofu
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- optional: turmeric and smoky paprika to taste
Prep all your veggies.
Add olive oil, garlic, onion, celery and bay leaf to a large soup pot. Saute for 3 minutes, just to soften and lightly brown the edges of the veggies.
Add in the potato, carrots, parsley, vegan Beyond Meat or chicken alternative like beans, pasta, nutritional yeast, spices, broth and water (start with one cup of water and add more if needed.) Bring mixture to a boil, stirring a bit, then reduce heat to low or medium-low and cover with lid. Simmer for at least twenty minutes, enough time to at least cook the pasta and soften potatoes. The longer you simmer, the softer the ingredients will become and the more bold the flavors will become as well from the soup reducing a bit. Season your soup to taste. You might want to add more heat or more salt and pepper. I like a lot of black pepper in this soup, so I usually end up adding in more that 1/8 tsp.
Serve warm with a garnish of parsley. Sometimes I like to add in vegan Parmesan cheese over top. I like to serve with sourdough toast, spread in hummus or vegan mayo. This soup is delicious the next day as well.
- nutritional info was calculated using tofu in place of the chickenless strips
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5622IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 4mg