Vegan Sloppy Joes
These easy, cozy Vegan Sloppy Joes are made using lentils, spices and a tomato puree base. This simple meal is delicious and healthy for kids of all ages! Serves 2-3.
Servings: 2 burgers
Sloppy Joe Filling
- 2 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups tomato puree
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1-3 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1-2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar optional
- 1 ½ cups lentils drained and rinsed
- 11/2 cup spinach chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste to taste
- 2 burger buns
- 2 teaspoon vegan mayo
- pickles sliced
Toast buns for 5-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Until tops are toasty and browned. This can happen while you are preparing the filling. When buns are ready, turn off oven heat and allow them to stay warmed.
Start by warming a skillet over medium-high. Add the oil and garlic. Saute garlic for a minute to brown.
Add in the tomato puree, spices, coconut sugar, optional vinegar. Turn heat to medium and allow the puree to cook down a bit - 2-3 minutes, stir every so often.
Add in the lentils and stir to combines. Keep stirring as the mixture thickens and cook down. Another 2-4 minutes.
Add in the greens and salt and pepper. Stir to wilt greens.
When mixture is nice and thick - scoopable - turn off heat.
Add vegan mayo and pickles to your toasted buns. Scoop on the sloppy joe filling. Serve warm!
- apple cider vinegar is optional - it adds an extra tanginess to the filling
- you can sub spinach for any greens, kale, collards, etc
- you may reduce the coconut sugar if you want a more savory and less sweet flavor - 1 tablespoon is minimum though because you want a tiny hint of sweetness -- if making for kids, the full ¼ cup coconut sugar might be most appealing!
Calories: 506kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1566mg | Potassium: 1978mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 8738IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 241mg | Iron: 12mg