Vegan Baked Rosemary Fries with Maple-Mustard Dipping Sauce
These easy veggie fries are lightly covered in a cheezy herbed coating. A hint of lemon and nutritional yeast, smoky paprika and sea salt make these dreamy. Maple-mustard for dipping.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 portobello mushroom caps, stem removed, thinly sliced
"Vegan 'Egg' Wash:"
- 2 flax eggs (1/2 cup water + 2 Tbsp ground flax seed)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup flour (gluten free, oat or all purpose - gf was used)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, stem removed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, optional
- smoky paprika to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Optional: 1/2 cup finely ground pecans, for additional coating
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk your "egg wash" mixture together: flax eggs, oil and lemon juice.
Add all the breading ingredients to a blender and blend from low to high until the rosemary is smoothly blended in to make a uniform flour.
Process: Dip each portobello fry into the flax mixture (vegan egg wash) and coat well in the liquid. Then dip each side into the flour mixture. If using the optional pecan coating, you can next dip into the finely ground pecans. Place fry on baking sheet, repeat until all are done.
You have two options. For 'lighter' fries, you can simply place the baking sheet in the 450 degree oven to bake for 15-18 minutes, flipping the fries halfway through. Option two is to pan fry the fries in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, then finish in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.