Chunky Veggie Pasta
This chunky, colorful, veggie-filled marinara sauce is perfect on your fave pasta for an easy, delicious plant-based meal.
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 2 oz black olives sliced
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 vegan sausage chopped – I used Field Roast Italian flavor — optional
- 2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning blend salt-free
- 2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes San Marzano used
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes San Marzano used
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- start with a 1/2 tsp salt and add more to taste
- optional: splash of white wine
- optional: 1 small onion diced
Add the oil and garlic to a large sauce pot over medium heat. Cook for two minutes. Then add in the zucchini and optional onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
Add in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a slow boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for at least twenty minutes. The longer you simmer, the more developed and bold the flavors will become.
Do a taste test and add more salt to taste if desired. You can also add more red pepper flakes or nutritional yeast to taste.
Boil pasta and drain. Toss with sauce. Add some vegan Parm to serve. This pasta is delicious same day, but the sauce is even better the next day! Leftover sauce will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Or you can freeze leftovers for about a month for best flavor.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 236mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 78IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg