These fun Mini Nacho Pizzas are inspired by my love of two recipes: English muffin mini pizzas and cheezy vegan nachos. This recipe is also a perfect way to use up leftover jars of salsa in your fridge!
Easy recipe. Fifteen minutes or so .. and done. Hot lunch approved. Serve with a fizzy citrus sip.
Appetizers for Dinner. I made these fun bites during the Super Bowl and decided that they are more than just appetizers – they are perfect as entree mini pizzas. I paired them with some guacamole and lively spinach salads tossed in a agave lime dressing.
Mini Nacho Pizzas
vegan, makes 4 mini pizzas
2 English muffins, split in half (spelt, sprouted grain or whole wheat varieties are my favorite)
1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds, vegan pepper jack flavor used
1/3 cup roasted tomato salsa (hot variety used!)
1/4 cup refried beans, vegan (canned, low-fat vegan used)
1 small jalapeno, sliced
1/4 cup onion sliced
2 tbsp tomato, diced
fresh topping: 1/2 large avocado, diced + tossed in lime or lemon juice
other optional toppings:
1 Tbsp black olives
diced tofu (try lime-chipotle-agave marinated!)
sour cream, vegan
garnish: fresh citrus wedges, lime or lemon + chopped parsley or cilantro
1. Preheat oven to a warm temperature – around 350-400 degrees.
2. Pull apart your English muffins. Prep your veggies by chopping/slicing.
3. Add either the salsa or refried beans to the muffin bread. Layering generously. Then add the vegan cheese and veggie toppings.
4. Place on baking sheet and place on top rack in oven. Allow to bake for about ten minutes at 400 degrees. Then for an additional 2 minutes, broil so that the tops get bubbly and blackened.
5. Pull from oven or bake for an additional 1-2 minutes on oven rack (no baking sheet) if you want extra crispy bottoms.
6. Serve warm with fresh avocado on top. Cilantro would make a nice garnish. Citrus wedges too.