This is what happens when you take two of my toast faves and join them together. Mushroom Toast + Avocado Toast = today’s recipe for Mushroom Avocado Toast. This super easy and simple recipe is packed with flavor and is delicious as a quick lunch, brunch or breakfast. I love this toast paired with a matcha latte in the mornings. Watch me make it and get the recipe!….
Mushrooms are one of my favorite ingredients to work with because of their earthy flavor and hearty texture.
Which mushrooms to use?
You can use any mushrooms you’d like. Shiitake, crimini, enoki, oyster, maitake!
I use EVOO as the skillet base. Vegan butter would work too. Butter and mushrooms is a great combination.
Herbs like rosemary, oregano, parsley or sage are also options for adding more layers of flavor.
I add a hint of garlic – shallot or onion could also be used.
For the acid. I used a cider vinegar today, but balsamic vinegar is my favorite for mushrooms. Leftover red wine is also great.
For the bread, use something hearty, yet soft. I think sourdough is perfect for this recipe.
You want to add a bit of acid to the avocado too, so lemon juice works well.
And as always, salt and pepper to taste! Try using freshly ground pepper and a really nice coarse sea salt. Get really fancy with some truffle salt!
Craving some heat? Add hot sauce or red pepper flakes over top to serve.
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced, any variety
- 2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- 1 avocado
- fresh lemon – for the juice
- Warm skillet over high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic. About a minutes later, pour in the mushrooms. Toss in the oil a bit with a spatula.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow the mushrooms to cook for 1-3 minutes, just until tender and lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to low, remove lid, add salt and pepper and toss the mushrooms a bit. Turn heat off and add in the vinegar. Toss. Turn heat back up to high and allow to burn off any excess liquid. Mushrooms should be lightly browned and greatly reduced in size by now. Turn heat off and let them sit in the pan while you prep the toast.
- Toast bread and mash avocado into toast. Squeeze lemon over top.
- Top avocado toast with warm mushrooms. Slice and serve.
nutrition estimate | per serving
Pin for later: