This super speedy Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich is one of my go-to lunch recipes. I usually make it when I am really hungry at lunchtime and can sit down and enjoy my meal. And if I am really hungry, I will literally eat the entire portion that this makes – like I did the other day. then by dinnertime, I go for something a bit lighter.
This is such a delicious way to amp up your bean game! So if you think chickpeas are only good for hummus – think again and give this recipe a try…
Vegan Tuna Salad
This used to be called ‘vegan tuna’ .. back in the day. As in years ago when I started blogging. Everything seemed to try to mimic something “traditional.” But these days, we are calling recipes more of what they actually are because people are actually just looking for delicious plant-based meals! So cool. So this is inspired by a traditional tuna sandwich, but this is 100% a Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich, no “faux” name needed.
This is inspired by tuna since it has the mayo and celery in there as the base.
Adding More Flavor to this Recipe
Today, I decided to give this Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich a bit more flavor than usual by adding in organic raisins and chopped bread and butter pickles.
You can add in a wide variety of flavor-boosting ingredients to this base chickpea salad. Here are some ideas…
- chopped nuts
- nutritional yeast
- dried currants
- chopped dates
- seeds – pumpkin or sunflower
- chopped avocado
- spicy mustard
- anything pickled! capers?
- other types of pickles like dill
- fresh herbs – finely chopped
Get creative with this chickpea base!
How to Serve Vegan Chickpea Salad
I love this on two slices of lightly toasted bread. Large slices of bread that can really hold all that hearty chickpea goodness.
You could also serve this salad in a wrap for maximum filling holding possibilities.
Another option is to serve it open-faced as a tartine.
And lastly, I love serving this chickpea salad with crackers or toasted bread slices and then just dipping the bread or crackers.
Healthy Vegan Sandwich
This is a healthy lunch recipe and vegan sandwich.
Beans are rich in fiber, vitamins, iron and they are a good source of plant-based protein. They may even prevent heart disease and more. (Harvard)
Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 16 ounces chickpeas
- 2 lemons, squeezed
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 1/4 cups celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 2 Tbsp pickles, chopped
- salt + pepper to taste
- olive oil, to taste for added richness
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- pickles, additional
- avocado, smashed
- Add the chickpeas (drained and rinsed) to a blender or food processor. Add in the lemon juice as well. Pulse until smooth, yet still crumbly.
- Scoop chickpea mixture into a bowl and fold in the mayo.
- Fold in the celery, raisins and pickles. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least twenty minutes to allow the flavors to marinate and texture to firm up.
- Serve on toast, over salads or on crackers. Enjoy!
- blender, food processor or mashing device
- large bowl
nutrition estimate | per serving
This is the original recipe I posted here on HHL many years ago. But today’s recipe is a bit more streamlined and includes those flavor boosting ingredients.