Last night my husband made me Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Peanut Cookies. And even though the recipe was pretty simple – they tasted better than any gourmet, labor/time-intensive cookie recipe I could ever make for myself.
Cookies in the Oven. One of the most magical culinary kitchen delights is the moment when you smell homemade chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven.
That soft, warm, vanilla-cocoa smell is magical.
It’s like comfort food. And you haven’t even bitten into a cookie yet.
And while it’s fun to make cookies yourself, even better is when someone else bakes them for you! Pass this recipe along to someone who loves you and attach a *pretty please* request for fresh baked cookies…
I told my husband I wanted cookies. He looked at me with that blank stare of “..but I don’t bake.”
He replied, “Yes, lets make cookies!” I shook my head ‘no’ and pointed to a nice friendly box of chocolate chip cookie mix in the pantry. I passed along a few hints on how to make the boxed cookie mix *sing* and sent him on his way.
Twenty minutes later: fresh baked, warm, super customized vegan cookies. These did not taste like they came from a box – even though they kinda did.
Try MrHHL’s Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Peanut Cookie Recipe below…
(or like I said, pass it along to someone who loves you…)
The “Cookie Smell” makes everyone (even pets) happy!..
My kitty Nelly always gets this serene look on her face when we are baking cookies. She loves the smell that fills every nook and cranny of our NYC apartment. She goes into the kitchen and rolls around in front of the oven in vanilla aroma bliss. This is her, in a post-cookie-roll coma/nap…
Chocolate Chip Peanut Cookies
1 box vegan chocolate chip cookie mix (any brand)
*We used Dr Oetker brand cookie mix
1/4 cup softened virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2-3 Tbsp softened *chunky* peanut butter
2-3 Tbsp dashes of additional flour (we used spelt) OR 2-3 Tbsp rolled oats
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup additional vegan chocolate chips (optional)
Ingredient Substitutions. The recipe uses coconut oil as the ‘oil/fat’ ingredient. If you’d like to use canola oil instead, you can – but I prefer the flavor and texture the virgin coconut oil provides. Also, if you’d like to use vegan buttery spread you can as well – only omit the extra salt since ‘buttery spread’ is already salty.
1. Add all ingredients to large bowl and hand stir well. (Soften peanut butter in microwave and fold in last so your don’t melt the chocolate chips too much).
2. Spoon dough onto parchment paper.
3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 9-11 minutes. Note: if you want more cake-like cookies, bake dough circles close together so they smush into squares. For crisper cookies, give plenty of ‘breath’ room on the baking sheet. You can see the cookies we made were more cake-like and square shaped.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.
5. Store in the fridge. The cookies will firm up in the fridge due to the coconut oil ingredient.
Serve with frosty ice cold almond milk.