I love a one-skillet wonder meal. And this fall-inspired recipe has all my favorites twirled together in one big, steamy, cozy rice bowl. Pumpkin-infused short-grained brown rice, sweet onions, bright green pistachios, crispy maple-accented tofu cubes, warming spices, fresh citrus and of course .. some kale in there too! If you are using leftover cooked brown rice you can easily whip this up in under twenty minutes. Healthy fast food for fall!
Pumpkin Rice. I love pumpkin rice. Rice that has been tossed with pumpkin puree and turns a golden orange color. Another fave pumpkin rice recipe to try:
But for today, dive into this comfort food bowl. This vegan meal is delicious served as a hearty lunch or delicious healthy dinner. Gluten free too!
Pumpkin-Pistachio Kale Fried Rice Bowl with Maple Tofu Cubes
This flavorful skillet-sizzled entree bowl combines pumpkin rice with veggies and maple tofu cubes. Meal in a bowl!
- 1 3/4 cups cooked brown rice, short grain used
- 3 Tbsp raw pistachios, roughly chopped or kept whole
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1/2-2 cups kale, stems removed + roughly chopped
- 1/2 orange, squeezed for juice
- 1/2 orange, peeled and sliced into cubes or segments
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 4 Tbsp pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- optional: 1 clove garlic, chopped
- for pan: 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil – or extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup tofu cubes, firm (drained, squeezed dry with paper towel)
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the pistachio nuts and saute for another minute until they toast a bit in the hot oil.
- Add in another 1/2-1 tsp of oil and add your rice, pumpkin, salt, pepper, orange juice, orange zest and optional garlic. Toss and saute so that the pumpkin distributes through the rice as it sizzles and softens.
- Fold the kale into the rice to wilt and soften it.
- When all the rice has absorbed and kale has wilted into the rice mixture, scoop all the rice to one side of the pan in a thick mound. In the empty space in the pan add a 1/2 tsp of oil (if the pan is bone dry) and the tofu cubes. Drizzle the maple syrup over the tofu cubes and add the salt and pepper to the cubes. Saute, still on high heat until the edges blacken. If the pan is too dry and starts to smoke, add in a teaspoon or two of water or broth to help steam the tofu – and make it fluffy.
- Finally, fold the diced orange and tofu cubes in with the rice mixture, mixing everything gently together in the hot pan. Saute for another minutes until the rice caramelizes a bit and any loose liquid is absorbed. Serve warm!
Yield: 2 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins. Total time: 20 mins. Tags: entree,fall,pumpkin,rice,kale,meal,vegan,dinner,
Nutritional info estimate per serving (2 servings per recipe)
Simple + delicious. My kind of meal! What is one of your go-to fall meals??