It’s all about the simple brilliance of the broccoli and cheese. Classic combos should not be fussed with.
Oozy vegan cheese in two luscious flavors. I used Daiya’s mozzarella shreds and a hint of Follow Your Heart’s nacho cheese cheddar flavor. These melted hills of cheesy bliss were rolling over a layer of seasoned broccoli florets that lay on a perfectly puffy whole wheat pizza crust.
If you can’t get your kids (or husband) to eat broccoli .. well now you can.
Though I adore the broc/cheese combo – you could use other veggies besides broccoli. Asparagus, carrots, green beans, kale, yams, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, even brussel sprouts.
The secret to this veggie-rific pizza is layering the cheese on top of the veggies. Your eyes are so distracted by the layers of oozy melty cheese that you forget you are eating spoonfuls of veggies! And to make the recipe simple and flavorful I don’t add any sauce. This makes the pizza almost like an open-faced grilled cheese and veggie sandwich as opposed to a classic red sauce pizza.
Cheesy Broccoli Pizza
vegan, makes on pizza
1 ball of whole wheat pizza dough
olive oil for rubbing
1 3/4 cups broccoli florets
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp mixed green Italian herbs, dried or fresh
pinch of salt
3/4 cup mixed vegan cheese shreds (white/orange)
*add more or less cheese to suit your tastes
1. Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
2. Toss your broccoli florets in the florets mixture ingredients. Set aside.
3. Roll out your pizza dough. Rub olive oil on all sides so that the dough doesn’t stick to whatever pizza pan you use. I used a basic medium baking sheet – rubbed with olive oil.
4. Spread you dough over your pan. Start adding the florets right to the dough – until the dough is covered in broccoli.
5. Add your cheese shreds until covered.
6. Bake your pizza at 415 for 20-25 minutes. When your dough begins to brown and is cooked though your pizza is done. Allow to cool a minute or two before serving.