Fall Sandwich. Warm golden pumpkin and sweet potato spread coats toasted bread (or a crusty roll) – layered with thickly sliced, crispy tofu and fresh veggie sandwich toppings like sweet onion, juicy red tomato and vibrant mache lettuce. Optional accents of chipotle or sage. Check out my recipe for this Crispy Tofu Sandwich with Sweet Potato Pumpkin Spread…
If you love sweet potatoes like I do, give one of my favorite sandwich tricks a try: I add a warm spread of mashed sweet potato to sandwiches. And for today’s spread recipe, I’ve added some pumpkin too. Serve this hearty sandwich as is, or pair with a steamy bowl of bean stew or a fall-flavored side salad.
And you might notice that this recipe is kind of a sandwich version on my Golden Trio Soup.
Give it a whirl, or simply grab the spread recipe and give your favorite go-to sandwich a taste of fall..
Tofu Sandwich with Golden Spread
bread: any variety will work
toppings: tomato, lettuce or mache, onion (more)
2 long cubed slices of tofu (you will need about 2 pieces per large sandwich)
1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil (or another cooking oil)
salt + pepper + chipotle powder (to taste)
optional: sprinkles of nutritional yeast
Directions: Slice tofu from package – long and thickly cubed. Press out liquid from tofu using paper towel. Saute on high heat – about 3 minutes on each side. Sprinkle seasonings while the tofu cooks in the oiled pan. Alternative cooking methods: bake the tofu or saute without any oil.
makes about 2 cups
1 cup sweet potato, mashed
½ cup pumpkin puree (canned – unsweetened)
1-3 tablespoon garlic hummus
salt + pepper to taste
drizzle of maple or agave syrup
spicy accent: a few dashes of chipotle powder (or to taste for heat preferences)
optional tweaks: add a splash of soy milk for a thinner spread. Add a few pinches of cinnamon if desired. Try fresh sage in place of chipotle too.
Directions: Combine ingredients in a blender – blend until smooth. Next, you will need to heat the spread. You can simmer in a small pot on the stove until warm or simply heat in the microwave. This recipe will coat 3-4 sandwiches. (I usually just serve any leftover spread as a side dip – or add more to my sandwich as desired.)
1. Toast bread.
2. Apply golden spread – heavily- to the bottom layer of bread. You can apply to top layer too if you’d like, or add some spicy mustard or veganaise to top layer.
3. Add the warm tofu over top, followed by the veggie toppings.
4. Close sandwich, slice and enjoy while still warm.
A few side notes!..
1. Wellness for Fall. I love that you guys have embraced my fall wellness plans. I already feel so much better after making some very minimal changes this week including pausing throughout the day for some deep belly breathing exercises, drinking plenty of water and making sure get my blood flowing. I find that not only does my body feel more alive and happy, but my brain is more vibrant as well. I am excited to bring you more Healthy Makeover recipes like my Loaded Potato Broccoli Soup (I enjoyed the soup three nights in a row it was so delicious!)
Hope your fall is cozy, well and comfy so far.
2. Compassion for Animals. I want to say thank you to Compassion for Animals. They passed out cards with my recipe for fish-free tuna at a recent event. They said many people took the recipe cards and were excited to try a fish-free tuna sandwich! Glad to see my blog recipes reaching a live audience. They sent these photos to me..