This Easy Vegan Garlicky Pea Soup is warm and comforting, thick and flavorful. Using split peas and just a few simple ingredients you can be enjoying a delicious bowl of this soup on under a few slow-cooked hours. I am loving this soothing soup that is a good source of plant-based protein – 30 grams in one large bowl!..
Easy Peasy. No Pun Soup. This soup has a few easy accent ingredients like diced carrots, celery and bay leaf for loads of flavor. Smoked paprika adds a smoky flavor and optional nutritional yeast can be added for cheezy flavor and even thicker texture. This soup is delicious for leftovers too. I love a nice slice of toast slathered in vegenaise alongside this soup.
Entree Soup. This soup is hearty enough to be a one-bowl wonder style meal. One large bowl contains 30 grams of protein and over 25g of fiber — over 100% your RDA! Plus each bowl contains 28% RDA iron and 97% RDA of vitamin A. I am in love.
I have posted pea soup here on HHL before, but I LOVE revisiting old recipes and simplifying them.
Easy Vegan Garlicky Pea Soup
This thick and delicious vegan pea soup is flavorful and speckled with carrots and celery. A hint of smoke and spice.
- 2 cups plit peas, organic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 additional cup liquid (water or broth) – (optional)
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced (sweet)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a few pinches of cayenne and black pepper
- 6 large cloves of garlic, lightly chopped
- optional: nutritional yeast to taste
- **with the salted veggie broth, you will not need to add additional salt. If you use water in place of broth, you will want to add salt to taste.
- Add the peas, broth, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf, paprika, cayenne, pepper and garlic to a large soup pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover with lid and lower heat to low. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes check on the soup, this is when you can add in the additional cup of liquid (water or broth) if you’d like. This makes a slightly thinner soup. You can also add in nutritional yeast to taste if you’d like. Cover soup again and continuing simmering for another 20-30 minutes until the peas are very tender and creamy.
- I like to give my soup at least an hour simmering on low, slow-cooking, until serving. Even longer works too. If you find your soup to be a bit too thin, you can simmer it uncovered for 10 minutes or so to reduce some of the liquid.
- Serve warm, delicious as leftovers too!
Yield: 4 large bowls — 6 cups total / 1 ½ cups per servingPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 59 mins. Total time: 69 mins.
- Calories: 401
- Fat: 2.6g
- Totalcarbs: 66g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietaryfiber: 27g
Tags: soup,peas,split peas,dinner,entree,vegan