One of my favorite fall rituals is having a steel cut oatmeal kind of morning. Nothing fuels a drowsy AM better than some warming comfort food in the form of fresh fruit, healthy seeds, creamy almond milk and rustic oats, warm and steamy from my stovetop. This fall power bowl of oats is a healthy breakfast to get you started with a warm, happy, glow-y smile. Get the recipe and find out what two recipes I would pair this bowl with! Plus my latest fall TV obsession. Hint: red apples..
Fall TV. Another fave ritual of mine? Fall TV! But nowadays it seems I much prefer to binge watch every new series I watch. You too? My latest obsession is Once Upon a Time, on ABC. Though the show first premiered back in 2011, I am just now watching the series front to back and I love it! I guess any Disney fan would. I cannot wait to catch up to be able to watch the new season 4, coming this fall, where they will have a Frozen twist! Can you tell I am a total kid at heart when it comes to Disney? I grew up with Disney princesses on my wall and the nickname Cinderella, what can I say. If you haven’t watched Once, give it a try and let me know if you like it! The main storyline is around Snow White .. but there are no poison apples in today’s recipe!.. (See how I transitioned there?)
Yup, fall means apples. And fresh fall apple picking or farmer’s market hauls can be beautifully served up via a pretty sliced apple swirl in your morning oatmeal bowl. Cinnamon spice, a hint of caramel-y coconut sugar, nuts, seeds, fruit and creamy vegan oats. Dreamy! It may not be fall yet, but I cannot help but get in a fall recipes kind of mood. One sniff of pumpkin or apple spice and I’m under fall’s spell.
Plus, Anticipation is half the fun.
nutritional info per serving (does not include optional ingredients) (4 servings per recipe)
I would serve this bowl with these recipes (for a more brunch-y style meal)
I also LOVE this go-to fall salad for lunch or a dinner side..
Fall Oatmeal Power Bowl
Vegan creamy steel cut oatmeal, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, fresh fall apples and bananas make this a cozy way to start your fall morning!
- 4 cups almond milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 small bananas (optional)
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 4 tsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh orange zest (optional)
- Add steel cut oats, almond milk and salt to a soup pot. War over high heat and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender and fluffy. Stir in one teaspoon cinnamon to cooked oats. Remove from heat and spoon into serving bowls.
- Add the seeds, sugar, sliced banana and apple on top of the oatmeal. Serve with optional side almond milk to cool and further hydrate oats, if desired. Also add and sprinkle of cinnamon and orange zest over top, if desired.
Yield: 4 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 30 mins. Total time: 35 mins.
- Calories: 347
- Fat: 13.9g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Dietaryfiber: 16.6g