These Fudgey Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies have two distinct qualities. They are vegan. And they are made with a black bean base. But I dare not call them black bean brownies in my house, since a few of the people who tried them and LOVED them …. hate beans of all kinds. Hopefully my bean-hating husband will still eat these brownies after reading this post 🙂
So long story short, even if you think black bean brownies sound crazy weird .. give this recipe a try! You may be surprised.
These super fudgey brownies are topped with a generous swirl of velvet-y peanut butter, some crunchy walnuts and vegan chocolate chips. I enjoyed these brownies straight from the oven all gooey and soft. But they also keep quite well in the fridge. Just warm before serving. These would make a perfect chocolate-lovers’ addition to your holiday treat table too!..
p e a n u t b u t t e r.
There is something about that shell of swirled peanut butter that makes these brownies go from delicious to heavenly. Just the aroma of peanut butter and chocolate makes me feel happy. And hungry.
Why Beans?? Well first off, they deliver! They really do make a smart culinary base for brownies. And secondly, beans are a healthy food so when you are diving into a thick, rich, gooey, amazing, fudgey brownie, you kinda strangely feel GOOD about it. Less guilt. More fun. And of course beans contain all that healthy stuff like protein, fiber, vitamins and iron.
The dose of sticky-sweet Medjool dates in this recipe makes for an extra fudge-like texture. But these are not flourless , I did still add in a dose of spelt flour to increase the fluffy-crumbly-ness a bit.
The optional Maca Powder adds a chocolate malt-y flavor that I love. Plus it is known to some as an energizing superfood. More about Maca Powder + buy online from Navitas Naturals
My holiday mantra (follow me on instagram!)..
Fudgey Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
vegan, makes 1 tray of brownies, 9″ square or circle baking pan
*nutritional info below based on slicing up 12 pieces per recipe*
(2) 15 ounce cans of black beans (unsalted) – drain and rinse
7 large Medjool dates, pits removed
4 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted, organic
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/3 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup spelt flour (or any flour to substitute)
1 tsp flax seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp Maca powder (optional)
1/2-1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
3 Tbsp peanut butter + 1 tsp coconut or safflower oil
1/3 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup chocolate chips, vegan
(optional, not shown) 1/4 cup coconut flakes
Notes: The flax seeds add a bit of ‘egg replacing’ body to the brownies, but are optional. If you do not add them, you may want to add in an extra Tbsp of flour.
Nutritional info per piece (12 pieces per recipe)
Calories: 188kcal, Fat: 6g, Fiber: 6g, Protein: 6g, Carbs: 31g
Iron: 11% RDA, Calcium: 5% RDA
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add the dates (pitted), black beans, agave syrup, salt, vanilla extract, coconut oil (melted state), and optional flax seeds to a high speed blender (Vitamix) or a food processor. Start on low and blend until very smooth.
3. Transfer this mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold in the cocoa powder, flour, cinnamon, instant coffee and Maca powder.
4. Grease your baking pan and pour in the brownie mixture. Smooth out with a spatula.
5. Heat the peanut butter and oil together so that you have a very liquid peanut butter mixture. Swirl that over top the brownie batter and swirl into brownies with a knife.
6. Add the chocolate chips and walnuts over top that. (Coconut flakes are optional.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes. Allow to cool at least fifteen minutes before slicing – serve warm for more messy, soft brownies that kind of fall apart when you eat them. Or allow an hour to cool for more firm, slice-able brownies.
Store on the countertop if serving within one day. Or store in the fridge for up to one week. You will need to warm the chilled brownies in microwave or oven before serving.
Also check out my Minty Smores Brownies Recipe with chocolate ganache on top.