I have been on a grilled cheese sandwich kick lately. And today’s sandwich creation is a new fave: Gouda Marmalade Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Get the recipe and start your own vegan grilled cheese obsession..
Simple ingredients. Bold flavors.
Grilled Cheese. Today’s recipe is a winter season dream. Toasty, buttery, sourdough bread cradles melty Gouda cheese, chopped walnuts, a hint of greens and black pepper and an accent of sticky-sweet marmalade jam. Super simple ingredients with flavors that really pop.
Vegan Grilled Cheese of the Month. This is December’s creation. I can’t wait to see what I dream up for you next month and beyond. #VGCOTM
– Swap out the marmelade for any jam you’d like. You could even do maple syrup.
– Swap Gouda for another flavor – I like any vegan white cheese – provolone, mozzarella, Parm – even DIY cashew…
– Swap out the walnuts for any chopped nut or seed. Spicy pumpkin seeds would be nice. Or chopped pecans.
– Add garlic! Add minced garlic to your sandwich, or slather on some soft roasted garlic.
– Sage. Toasted sage leaves could also be a nice accent.
– Black olives. Olives would add another punch of saltiness.
– Kale. Wilted chopped kale would be really yummy in this sandwich. Spinach or chard could work too. Any wintery greens to add more flavor, fiber and nutrients.
– Hot Sauce. A splash of your fave hot sauce will add a spicy kick! A pinch of cayenne could also work.
– Add tempeh bacon or garlic hummus for a boost of legumes.
– Avocado. Avocado is always a good idea…
What Vegan Cheese Melt Well? Honestly, there are SO MANY these days that I barely need to answer that question. I used Follow Your Heart for this sandwich, but other faves include: Daiya, Chao, Parmela and So Delicious. Browse my Vegan Cheese Guide for more ideas.
Other fave grilled cheese sandwiches? Here are a few..
– I love my spinach-stuffed grilled cheese.
– Classic melty grilled cheese, inspired by the movie Chef.
– Tomato-basil grilled cheese.
– Apple-stuffed Grilled Cheese on Cinnamon-Raisin Bread.
– Also my grilled cheese sandwich bites as tomato soup toppers…!
Holiday Shopping: DONE. Looking for an awesome plant-based + no-wrapping paper required gift for friends and family? Give them a gift that will keep on giving. The Finding Vegan Meals Program. This program is packed with fun and inspiring tools, tips and resources for starting or reinvigorating a plant-packed diet.
..To purchase the program as a gift, simply click the little present icon and put your giftee’s email address into the order form when placing your order. If you have any questions, let me know. Get all the details about the program at FVmeals.com.
…aaaaaaand now I have Lady Marmalade stuck in my head. The Xtina + P!ink version. Sing + grill some cheese!..
Gouda Marmalade Grilled Cheese Sandwich
By Kathy PatalskyPublished 12/04/2018
Sticky sweet marmalade pairs with vegan Gouda cheese and chopped walnuts on sourdough bread.
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2-4 slices vegan Gouda cheese
- 1 Tbsp orange marmalade jam
- 2 Tbsp raw walnuts, chopped
- small handful of mixed greens
- pinch of fresh black pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- splash of extra virgin olive oil for the pan
- Warm a skillet over high heat. Add a splash of olive oil – coating the pan well.
- Spread the vegan butter on both sides of the bread. You can use a bit more for a truly buttery-crusted sandwich.
- Place one slice of the bread in the warm pan, rub it into the hot oil a bit and flip it. Then pile the cheese slices on one side.
- On the other slice of bread, spread the marmalade.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over top the cheese slices – in the pan – and then add the greens and black pepper over top. Then top that with the marmalade-slathered slice.
- Using a spatula or heavy pot top, press down on the sandwich. Turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid – or the heavy pot lid. Allow to toast and warm for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich and repeat with pressing down the bread or covering the pan with a lid. The flipped bread side should be lightly browned by now with darker, toasty edges. Give the sandwich another 2-3 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- When the cheese looks melted and both side toasty, remove from the skillet. Slice and serve.
Yield: 1 sandwichPrep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 08 mins. Total time: 13 mins.
- Calories: 468
Tags: grilled cheese,vegan,lunch,dinner,easy,cheese,snack,winter,december,gouda,side,
Pin it for later: