Spring was simply made for smart snacking. And this Green Sunshine Dip made using fresh spring asparagus, sunny lemon juice, creamy avocado and nutty chickpeas is just the thing your snack platter needs. Serve it as a munch-as-you’d-like dip or slather it on top of sprouted grain toast for open-faced sandwiches. Any which way you serve it, those crisp green flavors shine through. And just pause, smile and inhale that sunny spring feeling that can only be experienced this blossoming time of year!..
Why Asparagus? Well this in-season veggie is one to embrace. Here are a few reasons why..
“1. It’s loaded with nutrients: Asparagus is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
2. This herbaceous plant—along with avocado, kale and Brussels sprouts—is a particularly rich source of glutathione, a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds like free radicals. This is why eating asparagus may help protect against and fight certain forms of cancer, such as bone, breast, colon, larynx and lung cancers.” – Eating Well, 5 health benefits of asparagus
These pretty purple carrots are perfect for chopping and dipping:
Green Sunshine Dip
vegan, 4 generous servings
2 cups fresh asparagus, halved and woody stems sliced off
1 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed if using cans)
1 clove garlic
1-2 lemons, squeezed (about 1/4 cup fresh juice)
1/2 large avocado
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, raw (salted and sprouted used)
salt and pepper to taste
additional spices to try: nutritional yeast, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, smoky paprika, fresh herbs and more!
add richness: drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1. Halve your asparagus and slice off any woody stems. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add asparagus. Boil for 3-5 minutes, until moderately tender, but not mushy. Drain water and add asparagus to high speed blender.
2. Also add in the avocado, chickpeas, lemon juice, pumpkin seeds and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Blend from low to high until smooth, about 1-3 minutes of blending depending on your blender power.
4. Taste test and add additional salt and pepper and spices to taste.
Serve warm, freshly blended or chill in the fridge for a firmer texture.
Serve as a dip or a spread for sandwiches and wraps.