Homemade biscuits instantly infuse a little cozy, rustic, homestyle, warmth into a meal. My latest biscuit recipe: Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits – melty cheese and spicy jalapeno bits in every fluffy, steamy bite. Grace your dinner table with a platter of these oven-fresh biscuits, and smiles abound…
Why are biscuits such feel-good fare? Maybe it is the way a fluffy cloud of steam escapes each buttery crevice when you pry open those soft, flaky layers. Maybe it is the way the fluffy flour and simple ingredients knead delicately into a ball of smooth ready-to-rise dough. Maybe it is the magic of watching your yeasted dough grow into a puffy double-sized ball, ready to be punched down, fist first – (punching out the dough is always my fave part of bread baking.) Maybe it is cutting out the biscuits into perfect humble circles. Maybe it is the toasty browned biscuit bottom. Or maybe it is the cozy aroma that fills the house when you bake up a batch.
Whatever it is. I know I love biscuits. And veganizing a classic recipe like “cheddar” jalapeno made me quite happy.
Flour Quality. The best biscuit tip I can give is to make sure you use fresh, high quality flour. And, yes, you can use a wide range of flour varieties for this recipe. Gluten-free, whole grain, your call. You may need to use a bit more water for heartier flour varieties. I went totally classic with all white flour. I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic, Unbleached White Flour. The quality is outstanding.
quick tip: If for some reason you find yourself without a rolling pin – use a large glass bottle to roll out your dough. Just be sure to wash surface of bottle well.
Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits
makes about 12 vegan biscuits
1 packet of yeast
1 teaspoon organic sugar
½ cup warm water + 2-3 tablespoon water
2 cups white flour, organic/unbleached
2 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup vegan butter, softened
¾ teaspoon pink salt
+ more flour as needed to knead and roll out dough
¾ cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds (I used Daiya)
2 tablespoon dried jalapeno (I used Penzey’s Spices brand)
*you could also use fresh jalapeno! I just really like the ease and smoky flavor of dried
1. Add ½ cup warm water + sugar + yeast to a large mixing bowl. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Let sit a few minutes.
2. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and softened vegan butter. Fold until a thick ball forms. Add in a few more splashes water and a few more pinches flour as needed to knead into dough. Knead dough for a few minutes on floured surface or in bowl.
3. Place the dough back in the mixing bowl – grease the sides. Cover and place in a warm spot for 30min -1hour (depending on your yeast packet instructions.)
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Punch out dough. Fold in the vegan cheese and jalapenos while – knead for a few minutes – roll out on a floured surface to about ¾ – 1 inch thickness.
6. Cut out biscuits and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
7. Bake biscuits for about 11 minutes at 400 degrees. You want the edges to start to brown and the bottoms to brown.
Allow biscuits to cool a few minutes before serving – this allows them to set a bit. Best served warm!
These biscuits would make a yummy bun for a vegan breakfast sandwich too! Like my Green Kale Avo..