These easy-to-make, simple-ingredient, melt-in-you-mouth Magic Minty-Chocolate Matcha Cups are rich in chocolate flavor with a silky center of minty-matcha green tea bliss. Sweet and cool, I store these little cups in the freezer and grab one when I have a chocolate craving. The hint of mint is super refreshing and the green tea accent adds color, antioxidants and a cravable flavor you simply must try…
Mint Cool Down. These cups instantly chill your mood and calm your craving for something sweet. And this perky green color is perfect for those spring-is-coming daydreams you have been having.
Mint Memories. The inspiration for this recipe is a bit random, but here it goes. When I was a teen, I used to babysit quite a lot. And I was the go-to gal for one family in particular. And as every GOOD babysitter knows there is more to a successful babysitting session that simply watching the kids and having fun. Once those kids are tucked into bed and the house is quiet and cleaned it is just you, master of the house. What to do now? Number one, an excellent couch to TV setup is a must-have. Number two must have item: snacks! And this family had the best snacks. Cherry-peach seasonal muffins from the farmer’s market, freshly baked bread puffing up in the bread machine and a fully stocked snack pantry. And the lovely mom of the house always INSISTED that I dive into whatever I wanted.
But the one thing that I really remember from that kitchen was in the freezer. They always put those “After Eight” mint chocolate square-skinny candies in the freezer. Cold from the freezer they were rich, chewy and addictive! I think I nibbled more than my fair share of those mints on a few occasions.
So that brings me back to today’s sweet treat recipe that reminded me of those freezer-stored chocolate mint treats.
These matcha-infused cups are super easy to make with just a few ingredients and quite amazing. I love a hint of mint after dinner and these sweet cups deliver. The recipe is very forgivable since the ratio of chocolate to coconut oil and such doesn’t have to be perfect. And you can add the mint and matcha to taste.
Magic Minty-Chocolate Matcha Cups
vegan, makes 9-10 cups
½ – ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
2 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
*start off with ½ cup of chips and if you want thicker cups or need more, simply melt more — add a hint of coconut oil each time you melt the chocolate.
½ – 1 teaspoon matcha green tea (more matcha adds a darker color and stronger flavor)
1 teaspoon agave
2-3 drops peppermint extract
¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
1. In a small mug, warm the chocolate layer ingredients for 30-60 seconds in the microwave or until silky and melted.
2. Spray your candy cup mold — or use cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners for the pretty crimped edges. I like to lightly spray with coconut oil.
3. Pour ½-3/4 teaspoon into the cups to create a thin bottom layer. Place container in the freezer to fully chill.
4. Melt the matcha layer coconut oil, then whisk in the matcha green tea, peppermint extract and agave syrup. Tip: Start off with just a ¼ teaspoon matcha and add more as desired.
5. Pull the chocolate from the freezer and pour in the matcha layer. You can add a lot of a little. You could even skip the top layer of chocolate and swirl the matcha on top. You can get creative with your layering, as you can see I did from my photos. If you want a top chocolate layer, simply freezer the matcha-added cups until firm and add the chocolate layer.
6. Chill your completed cups in the freezer until ready to pop out of their molds and serve. Store covered in the freezer. They should be delicious for more than a few weeks in the freezer.
Nutrition: These cups are rich in dark chocolate antioxidants and contain matcha green tea. They are around 100 calories per cup, depending on how thick you layer your chocolate.