This frosty red Raspberry Ritual Vitality Smoothie is one tall glass of pure refreshment. With fresh squeezed citrus, a touch of banana and plenty of antioxidant-infused, super food raspberries, this bright pink blend will have you feeling on top of the world. No matter how crazy your day.
You guys know I am a year-round smoothie-loving sort of girl. (And I guess you have to be if you are writing a smoothie book!) But really, fall, winter, spring and summer, I crave and embrace smoothies in my day-to-day routine. I even had a few snowstorm, stuck-inside-my-NYC-apartment days where I STILL ended up flipping on my blender to satisfy my off-season smoothie cravings. My trick was to take a really HOT bubble bath right before having my smoothie – with that little trick, even on freezing days smoothies are cravable!
The reason why I love smoothies year round is because they really do make me feel better.
Exhibit A: this morning!
I have had a crazy past few weeks. You too? Maybe everyone is trying to cram before the holidays start. (SNL even did a funny skit last weekend on the ‘mid-October-ness’ of right now!) It seems every deadline in the world decided to land itself right smack dab on the middle section of my October calendar. Deadline love-fest. Why does that always seem to happen? And this morning I woke up feeling less than chipper…
So I blended up this raspberry smoothie and wham bam, thank you smoothie, I was feeling better. Magic? No. Just the power of some feel-good nutrition. Thank you antioxidants!
Citrus Smoothies are also nice – OJ Smoothie Recipe:
And green sips too..
What is in this RASPBERRY blend that is so good for you??..
* Raspberries. Raspberries are rich in vitamin C, manganese, potassium and fiber. They are part of the super food “berry” family and may even help reduce your risk of certain cancers. Fruits rich in vitamin C are important to your overall sense of wellness and vitality since vitamin C acts as a free radical fighting antioxidant. Vitamin C also helps reduce inflammation, supports your immune system and helps with iron absorption.
* Oranges. Oranges are also rich in vitamin C. One orange contains contains enough vitamin C to satisfy your daily needs. Oranges, when eaten whole, are also an excellent source of fiber. My smoothie used orange juice, but if you have a Vitamix, you could easily blend in a whole orange instead.
* Almond Milk. Non-dairy milks provide a nice dose of a variety of nutrients. Fortified non-dairy milks usually contain calcium, vitamin B12, vitamin D and more. Some non-dairy milks like soy milk provide a nice dose of protein. I used almond milk in my smoothie to keep it soy free – and because I like the smooth nutty flavor of almond paired with raspberry.
* Banana. OK, if you didn’t hear enough about bananas in THIS post, let me sum things up. Bananas contain potassium, both insoluble and soluble fiber, manganese, vitamins B6 and C – and when added frozen, they help form a frosty-thick texture in smoothies.
* Optional Ingredients. I added in one scoop of avocado just to add in some monounsaturated (healthy) fats. Add in healthy fats to your smoothie may help slow the absorption of sugars and prevent and blood sugar spikes and crashes. Avocado is also a heart-healthy, skin-nurturing ingredient. Other great add-in ideas: chia seeds, flax oil, flax seeds, vegan yogurt, protein powder and maybe a dash or two of cayenne if you like a spicy accent.
Yup, smoothies in fall! All part of my Healthy Makeover Wellness Routine for fall 2012! I’m probably not going to squeeze in a workout today, nor have I done one all week to be honest, but at least I can squeeze in good nutrition! What are you doing today to make yourself feel a little more well??
Raspberry Ritual Vitality Smoothie
vegan, serves 1-2
1 cup raspberries, frozen/organic (another berry could substitute!)
1 1/2 bananas, frozen
1/4 cup almond milk (or sub any non-dairy milk)
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1-2 Tbsp avocado (optional)
add-ins: pinch of fresh orange zest, dash of cayenne, chia seeds, flax oil… your call! (even a handful of spinach would be awesome)
Blend and serve – try a frosted glass!
PS. And YES this smoothie was also inspired by being knee-deep in my smoothie book writing still. I cannot WAIT for you guys to read this book next spring!! More book info.