My dad worked from home when I was a kid. Sandwiches were his specialty. That, and taco night and a few rounds of BBQ-ing on the deck. But sandwiches were his every day, go-to lunch. I feel like if he wasn’t working or on the tennis courts, he was in the kitchen making a sandwich. Oh the things we remember from childhood.
He would be down working in his office all day, then pop up around lunchtime to make a sandwich. I imagine, it was kinda like my smoothie breaks – a nice little break from things with a meal he loved. He would climb up the stairs to our sunny little kitchen. Pull out his goodies from the fridge. Pour a tall glass of soda and ice and have his lunch. Maybe a few potato chips too…
I feel like I don’t make as many sandwiches today as we did back then, growing up. Fat-stacked, fully loaded sandwiches. I remember the deli near our house made a mean “veggie sandwich” with avocado and endless layers of veggies, all on soft California sourdough bread.
Making a sandwich is pretty fun. It is kinda like making a smoothie. You can switch up the ingredients quite easily and use a bit of your own creativity in each preparation. No heat required … unless you toast the bread and maybe melt some vegan cheese.
If I had wanted to get more fancy for this sandwich I would have added two things..
Maybe next time.
Cheese! Need some vegan cheese advice for your sandwich? Check out my Big Vegan Cheese Guide
Simple Vegan Sandwich
This is a favorite simple vegan sandwich that I love to make. It combines my love of a cream cheese slathered bagel with the heartiness of a fully loaded veggie sandwich. Vegan! Gluten-free option.
- 1 sandwich roll or 2 slices hearty bread – I used a gluten-free ciabatta
- 2-4 Tbsp vegan cream cheese – store bought or homemade, I used Kite Hill
- 6-8 pickle slices – I used bread and butter pickles bc I like salty/sweet
- 2-3 tomato slices
- 2-3 red onion slices
- 3-4 curly green lettuce leaves
- fine black pepper
- optional: Dijon mustard or a spicy brown
- Toast bread.
- Slather on vegan cream cheese and optional spicy mustard.
- Add the veggie toppings, top with black pepper.
- Close sandwich. Slice. Enjoy!
Yield: 1 sandwichPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins. Total time: 10 mins. Tags: sandwich,vegan,lunch,simple,cream cheese,entree,
– DIY cream cheese – here is a great recipe from Yup it’s Vegan
– The bread I used, because I know someone will want to know how I found gluten-free ciabatta, is from a local bakery, Rising Hearts. They rock my world.
Don’t miss my post on Beautycounter and all the amazing vegan skin care and beauty products I am raving about. Plus, the mission and facts behind the company are really eye opening and carry some info that I think every family should know.