Fall apple recipe! Last weekend, I whipped up these whole wheat, vegan, Apple Butter Cashew Cheese-Stuffed Apple Turnover Triangles, made in a skillet using whole wheat tortillas and yummy fillings.
Using sweet fall apple slices and homemade cashew cheese, these tasty bites which started out as fancy quesadillas, tasted exactly like flaky apple turnovers.
They were the perfect snack as I watched the US Open tennis finals last Sunday with my husband. I also made a creamy cinnamon-citrus dipping sauce using vegan coconut yogurt. (Which btw, I used to not like coconut yogurt, but really love it now! There is even a new ‘Greek Style‘ Coconut Yogurt which I am excited to try. Hooray for new vegan products, ice cream and yogurt and of course Mac and Cheese.
Anytime Food. These tasty bites are lovely as breakfast, an after-school snack or an anytime nibble. Midnight snack approved. Back-to-school season perfection. You can even pop them in the fridge to store and eat them all day long. Delicious chilled or warmed. Plus with this recipe, you will have a bit of leftover apple butter cashew cheese for dipping and spreading.
Fast + Easy. And the best part about this recipe is that you can make it in minutes..
Apple Butter Cashew Cheese, the secret ingredient filling for super yumminess..
Note: If you are in a bind, you can sub regular peanut, cashew, sunflower or almond butter — but this filling as shown is so perfect, fluffy and rich in cinnamon-apple flavor.
Cinnamon Coconut Yogurt Dip too!
So flaky-delicious like an apple turnover.
This platter serves 2-3 people comfortably, or one very hungry person 🙂
How you layer the tortilla – easy!
Stuffed Apple Turnover Bites
- Apple Butter Cashew Cheese:
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews (lightly soaked is ok)
- ½ large apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- water as needed to blend – as little as possible
- Turnover Triangles:
- 2 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 2-3 tablespoon Apple Butter cashew Cheese
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ apple, thinly sliced
- pinch of cinnamon
- for pan: ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil – or coconut oil
- Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup coconut yogurt, plain or vanilla
- pinches of cinnamon, orange zest and salt to taste
- Make apple butter by blending all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Pour into a separate container – because there will be leftover with this recipe.
- Spread apple butter cashew cheese evenly over one of the tortillas, then add the apple slices, citrus zest and pinch of cinnamon.
- Warm a saute pan over high heat. Add ½ teaspoon oil to the pan. When oil is hot, place the tortilla with the spread and apples in the pan. Place the other tortilla on top.
- Allow this tortilla side to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Carefully flip tortillas in pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes, just to brown the other side and heat the filling — softening the apples.
- Turn off heat and let the tortillas rest in the pan for 1-2 minutes, then slide it out onto a cutting board to further rest. When cool enough to slice, slice into quarters or eighths.
- Whip together the dipping sauce by stirring the ingredients briskly with a spoon.
- Serve! Store leftover cashew cheese in the fridge for up to 3-4 days — this can be used as a dip or spread.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: snack,back to school, cashew cheese,apples, fall, vegan,sweet, kids,breakfast,cashews,cinnamon,turnovers