Sometimes the best recipes are discovered by happy kitchen accidents. Like this Nutty Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. I was adding the “spelt” flour when, whoopsies, I realized that my spelt was actually my buckwheat flour. So I continued anyways, a bit worried that this bread would not turn out fluffy and lovely as I had hoped, since buckwheat can be a heavy flour. But sure enough, this bread baked up into a delicious banana bread loaf! It has the perfect subtle accent of dark chocolate chips and crunchy jungle peanuts combined with three sticky sweet mashed bananas and all sorts of other yummy vegan ingredients. Try it out and taste my delicious mistake..
Enjoy it. This bread was delicious warmed up at breakfast all last week. Super hearty yet still moist, light, nutty and sweet. Those chocolate chips give this bread a decadent feel, but the ingredients are healthy enough to enjoy a slice any time of day. Peanuts, chocolate, bananas. Banana bread bliss.
Nutty Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Nutty amazing buckwheat banana bread with mashed bananas, loads of peanuts and chocolate chips.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat or wheat flour (I use homemade oat flour)
- 2 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, grade B
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- fold in:
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanuts (I used jungle peanuts)
- topping: 1 Tbsp coarse sugar (optional) + sprinkle of peanuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- Add all bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash very well. Add in the melted coconut oil to assist in the mashing. Then add in the vinegar, vanilla extract and maple syrup too. You should have a very wet banana mash now.
- Fold in the flours, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, flax seeds. Fold very well until a wet and very thick banana batter forms. Pour this mixture into the loaf pan and smooth with a spoon. Sprinkle sugar and peanuts on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool before slicing and serving.
Yield: 8 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 40 mins. Total time: 50 mins.
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 13g
- Totalcarbs: 40g
- Dietaryfiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Tags: dessert,snack,bread,vegan,banana bread,buckwheat,peanuts,gluten free,breakfast