These Vegan Buttermilk Waffles are fluffy and light with a slight lemony, “buttermilk” flavor. They pair perfectly with a warm fruit topping like wild blueberry or summer strawberry. Whip these waffles up and have Leslie Knope feeling jealous…
Brunch Any Day
These are my favorite waffles for a weekend brunch. Actually, they make any day feel like a Sunday morning, all cozy and snuggly with an extra amazing foamy latte to sip and sunshine sparkling through a kitchen window. Plus, the batter and topping is super simple to whip up, so you really can have vegan buttermilk waffles any day of the week.
The topping is totally optional, if you prefer just drizzling on some maple syrup or slicing some fresh berries or banana over top – go for it.
Another waffle recipe I love – my vegan holiday waffles with citrus and spice.
Vegan Egg Replacement
Two important ingredients in any waffles are the eggs and the buttery accent as well.
For these Vegan Buttermilk Waffles..
The eggs, to make vegan buttermilk waffles, you simple sub out eggs and sub in either silken tofu, tofu purée or a vegan egg replacer like JUST egg. Both options work well and have been tested. The JUST egg has a bit more eggy flavor, but I love the tofu version too!
For the vegan butter, simply use a butter substitute like Earth Balance.
Do I Need a Fancy Waffle Maker?
Do I Need a Fancy Waffle Maker to make these Vegan Buttermilk Waffles?
I have a handy Belgium waffle maker, similar to this one on Amazon, the kind that can fill two sides at once and twirls to more evenly distribute the batter. I love it. But I have had waffle success on a variety of waffle irons.
The key is to make sure your waffle doesn’t stick!
How to Make Sure Waffles Don’t Stick
My easy trick for making sure my vegan buttermilk waffles don’t stick is two things.
1. My waffle iron is nonstick.
2. I grease the iron surfaces with vegan butter for extra non-stick properties as well as extra buttery edge flavor!
Adding the butter to the iron really is also my secret trick for extra amazing waffles. You do not need to add butter to serve because it is lightly coated on the surface!
The Vegan “Buttermilk”
Vegan buttermilk is super easy to make. You just combine the soy milk (or any nondairy milk) with the fresh lemon juice and wait a few minutes for it to thicken and curdle a bit.
Tip: Use a full fat non-dairy milk! This will ensure a nice and rich and creamy vegan buttermilk. I like soy or oat milks, but an almond or even flax or pea milk would work too. Oatly makes a lovely full fat oat milk that would work really well.
Vegan Buttermilk Waffles
- 2/3 cup vegan egg replacer, JUST egg or silken tofu
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour, AP or gluten free
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- a few pinches cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, for greasing waffle iron
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 lemon squeezed, for blueberry topping
- maple syrup, to serve
- Warm up your waffle iron. I use a non-stick iron and use some additional melted butter to grease it very well and add extra buttery flavor
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the wet ingredients. Then whisk in the dry ingredients. Whisp until nice and fluffy.
- Grease the waffle iron by quickly rubbing some butter right on the surface. Be careful!! Iron will be very hot.
- Add a generous scoop of batter onto the iron. Size will vary based on your waffle iron capacity.Close waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes or depending on your machine's needs.
- While waffles are baking, you can whip up some blueberry topping by adding frozen blueberries and a few squeezes of lemon juice to a pot. Cover with lid and turn heat to medium. In 2-3 minutes, turn off heat and let sit, covered, until ready to serve. Upon serving, the blueberries will be soft and lovely!
- When waffles are nice and browned and fluffy and cooked through, remove from iron and add blueberries and maple syrup over top to serve.Optional: crushed walnuts is another yummy addition!
- waffle iron
- mixing bowl
- whisk or beater
- large pot and lid for blueberry topping