I do not throw this phrase around lightly, but i have to say it.. “These may be the best batch of cookies I have ever baked.” Yup. These Walnut Lovers’ Chocolate Chip Cookies are studded with thick, buttery, crunchy California walnuts, velvet-y mini chocolate chips, a sprinkling of rolled oats, cinnamon and an undertone of rich vanilla extract in every chewy, air-y bite. Get my recipe and enter an awesome giveaway too! (Cookies + giveaway = double happy post!)..
GIVEAWAY & COOKIES below.
The cookies. These cookies are vegan bliss. These are not a skinny version, since they do contain plenty of rich ingredients like chocolate, walnuts and vegan butter. But lets be honest, each bite has a wide variety of healthy qualities too!..
* Walnuts (plenty in each cookie!) provide healthy fats including omega-3 fatty acids.
* The cacao in chocolate contains heart-healthy antioxidants.
* Rolled oats are rich in fiber.
* Cinnamon and vanilla are calming ingredients that will leave you in one feel-good cookie swoon from your first sweet nibble.
..so really lets call these cookies a healthy indulgence.
Why were these cookies so good? Well first off the ingredient combo was delish. But the real reason I think I loved them was the texture! They had tons of chewy, air-y pockets and holes. I think this is because for the first time in a long time, I added not only baking powder, but baking soda to my dough! Here is why..
I stumbled upon this Yahoo Voices article a while back and couldn’t get one line out of my head: “To all would-be-bakers out there, baking soda and baking powder are not interchangeable. … Baking soda is essential to many holiday cookie recipes.”
I will admit I rarely before now bothered to add that tiny scoop of ½ teaspoon baking soda. But the difference when baking soda is added is clear! So if you have been skipping baking soda in your cookies, give it a try next time and let me know if you noticed a difference!
(giveaway below recipe)
Walnut Lovers’ Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 2 dozen small cookies
1 ½ cup white flour, organic
1 cup sugar, organic
¾ teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoon baking powder (If you like a bit more ‘rise’ add another 1 Tbsp)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅓ cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
¼ cup warm water + 1 teaspoon flax seeds (crushed or whole)
½ cup melted vegan butter
3 tablespoon almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup mini chocolate chips, vegan (or regular sized)
¾ – 1 cup raw walnuts (halves, whole or pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease pan.
2. Mix together your flax egg and allow to sit for at least five minutes. You can also melt your vegan butter in the microwave. The melted amount should equal ½ cup ‘liquid.’
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. Fold in the vegan butter and flax egg until mixture thickens and balls up. Then pour in the almond milk, vanilla extract and finally the acid (vinegar or lemon).
4. If your dough is still too dry (maybe if you used a heartier flour) you can add another splash of almond milk until it thins to a wet dough consistency. It should be on the wet side since you still need to add the dry nuts and chips.
5. Lastly, fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
6. Place dough in the fridge or freezer to chill until firmed enough to roll into balls by hand or with a scooper.
7. Arrange dough on baking sheets – about 12 balls per pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-16 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
8. Cool. Serve. Store in baggies or in container at room temp for a few days. If storing longer, place in fridge or freezer.
$150+ Natural Vitality Giveaway. Magnesium levels effect your mood, stress, anxiety and more. While many vegans DO eat a well-balanced diet rich in magnesium-rich foods like greens and seeds – there might be times when you (or a less healthy family member) may want to supplement. (You should always ask your doctor about your own supplement needs and issues.) Natural Vitality’s Natural Calm is an easy, yum, pill-free option. Dissolve in 2-3oz warm water, serve as desired. Flavors: lemon, orange, raspberry lemon – organic, Non GMO, vegan.
Giveaway prize – 1 winner:
* $150 e-gift card to the Natural Vitality online store.
* 1 “magnesium & your health booklet” valued at $4.99
* 1 copy of the magazine Organic Connections.
Now back to these cookies!..
I store these cookies in plastic baggies and place some in the freezer right away since an entire batch is a lot of cookies.
Disclosure: giveaway is sponsored, but opinions are my own.