After a sunny weekend of holiday loveliness, I’m finally settled in LA and ready to slowly sink myself into the warm fuzziness of the holiday season. And perky recipes like my ZingBerry Holiday Wrap are just the thing I need to keep my mood peppy and my energy up for the busy food-filled month ahead.
ZingBerry Tempeh. Sticky sweet cranberry tempeh meets cool, crunchy Vegenaise-slathered slaw and creamy fresh avocado – all snuggled together in an extra large whole wheat wrap. Hand-held lunchtime bliss packed with zing-y flavor, protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins and maybe even a little holiday cheer…
Over the weekend, I whipped up a Cranberry Tempeh Avo-Slaw Salad. I fell in love with the flavors. Sticky sweet tempeh coated in leftover Thanksgiving cranberry sauce – overtop super easy slaw and avocado. It was kinda my last hurrah to Thanksgiving.
Well I decided to turn my farewell-Thanksgiving salad into a “hello holiday season” wrap! This Zing-Berry Holiday Wrap pairs well with my mood and meets my cravings for protein, crunchiness, zestiness and easy-to-eat-hand-held-ed-ness. 🙂
This is fall, really? The past 7 years I spent on the east coast, Thanksgiving meant whipping out my MooShoes boots, heavy scarves and winter coat. So my body is a bit confused by this “fall” weather.
This weekend here in LA, we enjoyed beautiful sunny weather – 85+ degree sunshine by the beach and plenty of blue skies, whisky ocean breezes and smoothie-sipping afternoons. I took my husband to Real Food Daily in Santa Monica for brunch on Sunday and it was fantastic. I used to go there often when I lived in LA ten years ago – but this was my husband’s first RFD in SM brunch. Super C juice with extra ginger paired with a “weekender” breakfast. Vegan tofu scramble, wrench toast, amazing crispy tempeh bacon, cashew cheese sauce and more. Treats to go. Cinna buns (yum!)
I can’t wait to round up some to-go eats at all my have LA spots to do a nice photo-review of my have dishes.
So I hope you all had a fabulous holiday weekend! And if you are looking for a fab Cyber Monday purchase to lead you into a healthy, happy New Year – might I suggest a Vitamix! Holiday deal: get a 32oz. extra container for only $50 (that is a deal, trust me!) Great to have an extra container around. My Vitamix was the best purchase I ever made for my kitchen. Get free shipping by clicking here..
ZingBerry Tempeh Wrap Wrap
vegan, serves 1, with leftover tempeh
1 package of tempeh, sliced into about 8 “logs”
½ -¾ cup leftover cranberry sauce (jelly or whole berry)
2 tablespoon safflower oil
a few pinches of fresh pepper
salt to taste OR 1-2 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
optional: 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup for added sweetness
½ avocado, sliced
Easy Slaw Salad
2-3 cups shredded cabbage
½ cup shredded white or sweet onion
2 tablespoon Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
1 ½ tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
⅛ teaspoon fine black pepper
1 XL whole wheat wrap
extra slather of vegan mayo + added Dijon mustard inside (optional)
1. Heat a saute pan on high with safflower oil. Add in the tempeh and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Rotate logs until some oil has been absorbed and all sides sizzle into a nice golden color. If adding additional sweetener, add now – over top hot tempeh.
2. Turn heat to medium and carefully add in the cranberry sauce one tablespoon at a time until the logs are coated in sticky sauce. Continue to sauté for a few minutes. You can add in as much or as little cranberry sauce as you’d like. Salt/pepper to taste or add in that splash of soy sauce.
3. Cool tempeh in pan by removing from heat. The sauce will get sticky upon cooling.
4. For the cabbage – a simple good toss and fold with the dressing will do. Very easy and light. You want the cabbage to stay crunchy and zesty – yet with a nice hint of creaminess front he vegenaise. Chill in fridge if not serving right away or making head of time (the chilled slaw will be a a bit more marinated that “just made” slaw.
5. Warm your tortilla wrap and start adding ingredients: add the cabbage, tempeh, leftover cranberry sauce from pan (or chilled unheated sauce as garnish). Slice avocado over top. Add extra mayo and or Dijon. wrap and serve. Need “wrap-rolling” instructions/tips? Watch video one here!