This morning, our building’s fire alarm (falsely) went off at 3:30AM. Hi. Normally, I would glide back to sleep, but not today. I tossed and turned until sunrise. I basically laid in bed for those early morning hours, pillow stuffed over my face, pink light slowly crawling through the window drapes, my husband blissfully snoozing by my side – my brain busy thinking and fighting sleep. I was thinking about everything that has happened the past few days since I wrote this post. The adrenalin rush of comments still warms my face. I feel very changed by the experience of sharing something so private, and taking a leap of faith that the universe is indeed a compassionate place where people share and support and love and think.
Hearing stories so similar to mine – from people who are not just strangers – but my readers – people who have been following me for years – makes me feel so warm and comforted.
The thing I love most about blogs are the natural exchange of life stories. And once again, having my own space to share is becoming an extremely healing tool in my life. So thank you.
And I know that as time passes, I will feel a bit less raw and vulnerable and just simply, strong.
Ocean metaphor, because that’s how my brain works.. Sometimes just running straight into the crisp, cold ocean is the way to go. No tip-toeing around it! It is a shock to your system, but after a while you get used to it, and it feels good, and you turn around and stare back at the shore, and wonder why in the world you didn’t dive in sooner?
But back to square one, this is still my food blog.. And the healing power of food is my jam.
And so what did I do as soon as I climbed out of bed around 7am?? Cook! This Sandwich. BBQ Tempeh at sunrise. Life of a food blogger.
Today I am sharing one of my favorite go-to tempeh recipes. The cool thing about these BBQ Tempeh Avocado Sandwiches is that they take just around ten minutes to prep. And they are SO flavorful and hearty! Summer sandwiches here we come…
The sticky-sweet BBQ tempeh of my dreams..
Serve these for any BBQ fans in your life (vegan or not) and see what they think.
This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy tempeh, which is a great source of plant-based protein.
Tempeh. A lot of people ask me what I do with tempeh. And why is it better than tofu? Or is it? What does it taste like?
Both tofu and tempeh are soy products – made from protein-rich soybeans.
Well I think tempeh is very similar to tofu in that it absorbs flavors very well. Smoky-maple-tamari sauce for tempeh bacon or BBQ sauce like this recipe. Or try a tempeh-reuben sandwich. Or try triangles over a curry carrot slaw.
Tempeh has a nuttier flavor than tofu and the texture is very different – firmer. Tempeh is less processed and so it has more of a bean-y, bumpy texture compared to tofu – which to me is pretty bland as is. Tempeh has a more fermented flavor on its own.
I love tempeh because it holds up well for things like sandwiches and even salads. It doesn’t get mushy or fall apart.
It is such an easy + delicious plant-based protein source!
These sandwiches are delicious all on their own, but you could also add a side of potato salad or small salad – try my seasonal Farmhouse Ranch Peach-infused Salad!
I hope you are having a relaxing + fun 4th of July weekend! Sending you lots of summertime love. If you try this or any of my recipes be sure to tag my on social media so I can check them out!
PS. This burger/sandwich pairs really well with a Red, White and Blueberry Banana Ice Cream Milkshake!..
PPS. This is such a little thing, but I am so glad I finally fixed my mobile site’s logo. It had been super small and blurry for over a year and I fixed it to be a clear and crisp header. Nothing fancy but not an eye sore anymore. It’s the little things in this gig.
I’ll be back tomorrow or the next day with a delicious berry-filled dessert recipe!
BBQ Tempeh Avocado Sandwich
- 1 8oz package of tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cups vegan BBQ sauce (DIY BBQ Sauce recipe here)
- 2 ciabatta rolls (or another bun/bread option)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1-2 tablespoon spicy mustard
- greens, lettuce or cole slaw (optional)
- Add the tempeh and BBq sauce to a large pot. Tuen heat to high and cover with a lid. After two minutes, turn heat to low and leave covered. Allow to cook another minute or two, then uncover lid. Gently toss the tempeh with the BBQ sauce a bit. The sauce should be darkening and the tempeh should be tender by now. Keep cooking the tempeh until the sauce is nice and sticky and thick, and the tempeh is soft and limp. Do not over cook to the point where the tempeh is falling apart though. Turn off heat and set aside to cool a bit. (As the tempeh cools, the sauce with thicken up even more.
- Toast your bread and slice open.
- Add the vegan mayo and mustard, tomato, onion. then top with plentiful amounts of tempeh. The finish with the avocado and greens (or slaw). Close buns, slice and serve warm!
Leave a Reply