I had no intentions of making this raw chard ribbon salad a “Christmas Tree” Salad. It was just going to be a holiday salad. Until I piled it into my bowl and watched as it formed a peaked tower that resembled a decked out holiday tree.
Complete with shiny red pomegranate “lights” – glossy grape bulbs – twinkly satsuma ornaments – and then, of course, I needed a star on top…
..sprouted grain toast star it was!
So my holiday salad turned into an edible tree.
And now, (six years later!!!), this Christmas Tree Salad has been a festive fave of mine. I hope you can give it a try and even bring your own creativity to it…
Christmas Tree Salad
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¾ cup red grapes, sliced
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and sliced in half, segments separated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries , optional
- 1 small apple, chopped
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon coriander
- a few pinches of orange zest
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 slice toast, sliced into a star
- Simply prep all your ingredients and toss them with the dressing/spices in a large bowl. Toss and mix very well since this will help to distribute the flavors and infuse the chard with flavor.
- You can serve right away or chill in the fridge for up to 12 hours in advance before serving. Any longer and your chard will begin to get a bit soft. Serve raw and chilled. Top it! For the “star” tree topper, simply toast any slice of bread and using either your knife (free-hand) or a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a toast star to top the tree salad.
- large mixing bowl
nutrition estimate | per serving
Pin it for later..
More Christmas Recipes
Browse treats and sweets, festive drinks and more in my Christmas recipes section.
This Christmas Tree Holiday Salad will fill your holiday season table with cheer! And healthy-deliciousness too. Dive in. Twinkly lights not needed for this shiny-fabulous tree..
Christmas Tree Salad Shopping Tip.
Make sure you buy organic, super fresh chard since it is your main ingredient! Look for perky green leaves with plenty of “bounce” in their movement. Wash and pat dry your chard leaves very well.
Nutrition Bonus! This salad is filled with healthy things. Those pomegranate seeds are loaded with antioxidants. The pecans are rich in healthy fats and minerals. The chard is loaded with vitamins and minerals – including even more free radical fighting antioxidants. The citrus is rich in vitamin C. The dried fruit and pretty much all of the ingredients are rich in fiber.
Leafy Greens: Chard or Kale.
You could also try using kale in place of chard. Both are fluffy enough to give the “tree” some body, while staying nice and green with texture.
Other optional ingredients that would be fabulous: pear, avocado, dates, bell pepper, corn, grains like quinoa or brown rice, beans, tomatoes, diced roasted squash or sweet potato …… gosh, pretty much anything yummy would be beautiful in this salad!
originally published: 12/3/12