originally published: 12/3/12, updated: 12/6/18
I had no intentions of making this raw chard ribbon salad a “Christmas Tree” Salad. It was just going to be a holiday salad. Until I piled it into my bowl and watched as it formed a peaked tower that resembled a decked out holiday tree.
Complete with shiny red pomegranate “lights” – glossy grape bulbs – twinkly satsuma ornaments – and then, of course, I needed a star on top…
..sprouted grain toast star it was!
So my holiday salad turned into an edible tree.
And now, (six years later!!!), this has been a festive fave of mine. I hope you can give it a try and even bring your own creativity to it…
Christmas Tree Salad
By Kathy PatalskyPublished 12/03/2012
This festive holiday salad looks like a sparkly, twinkly Christmas tree! Citrus, kale and pomegranate. Toast star on top.
- 1 bunch swiss chard (red or green), chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup red grapes, sliced
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and sliced in half, segments separated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries or raisons (optional)
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped pecans, raw
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp coriander
- a few pinches of orange zest
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/3 tsp salt – or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Star topper: 1 slice of toast, sliced into a star
- Simply prep all your ingredients and toss them with the dressing/spices in a large bowl. Toss and mix very well since this will help to distribute the flavors and infuse the chard with flavor.
- You can serve right away or chill in the fridge for up to 12 hours in advance before serving. Any longer and your chard will begin to get a bit soft. Serve raw and chilled. Top it! For the “star” tree topper, simply toast any slice of bread and using either your knife (free-hand) or a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a toast star to top the tree salad.
Yield: 4 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 02 mins. Total time: 17 mins.
- Calories: 150
Tags: salad,holiday,christmas tree salad,christmas,chard,pomegranate,citrus,vegan,recipe,
Pin it for later:
This Christmas Tree Holiday Salad will fill your holiday season table with cheer! And healthy-deliciousness too. Dive in. Twinkly lights not needed for this shiny-fabulous tree..
Shopping Tip. Make sure you buy organic, super fresh chard since it is your main ingredient! Look for perky green leaves with plenty of “bounce” in their movement. Wash and pat dry your chard leaves very well.
Nutrition Bonus! This salad is filled with healthy things. Those pomegranate seeds are loaded with antioxidants. The pecans are rich in healthy fats and minerals. The chard is loaded with vitamins and minerals – including even more free radical fighting antioxidants. The citrus is rich in vitamin C. The dried fruit and pretty much all of the ingredients are rich in fiber.
Chard or Kale. You could also try using kale in place of chard. Both are fluffy enough to give the “tree” some body, while staying nice and green with texture.
Other optional ingredients that would be fabulous: pear, avocado, dates, bell pepper, corn, grains like quinoa or brown rice, beans, tomatoes, diced roasted squash or sweet potato …… gosh, pretty much anything yummy would be beautiful in this salad!