It is 6AM Los Angeles time – first day of summer – I am watching a citrus orange sun creep over the dusty blue horizon, creating patches of pink and gold across a hazy sky. Fresh green leaves sit on the trees and pastel pink and periwinkle spring blooms still accent the garden in velvet patches. Summer is here and I couldn’t be more excited.
SummerThyme Hummus, Summer Sorbets, Cool Cucumber Tartines – Watermelon Frosties – I’m ready! Here are a few of my favorite vegan summertime recipes and an update on my smoothie book writing process!..
First the eats… A few of my fave summertime recipes (more links below images)
Cali Tahini Sliders – Blackberry Pie – PB Shake – Tofu Feta Watermelon Salad:
Peach pie – Bagel-wiches – summer berries – arugula salad:
Summer Berry Cereal – Acai Smoothie – Farro Porridge – Wedge Goddess Salad:
Lazy Frescas – Tomato Salad – Potato Salad – Summer Rice Wraps:
Summer Bruschetta – Sweet Potato Burger – Peach Smoothie – Portobello Salad:
Sprout Sandwich – Ranch Dip – Zucchini Guac – Tomatoes:
Cole Slaw – Tofu Crunch – Quinoa Boat – Kiwi Basil Smoothie:
Kathy’s Vegan Summer Recipe Round-Up
* Lemon Summer-Thyme Hummus
* Summer Bruschettas: Citrus Peach Lime + Balsamic Summer Tomato
* Cool Creamy Vegan Ranch Dip
* Creamy Dill Potato Salad + wrap
* Sunny Asparagus Tapenade
* Pineapple Fried Quinoa – in a boat!
* Easy Tofu Crunch Salad
* Summer Zucchini Guacamole + Zucchini Appetizer
* Thick and Creamy Vegan Cole Slaw
* Sweet Chili Fridge Sliced Cucumbers + Tartine
* Summer Peach Pie + how-to crust video
* Summer Sorbets
* Fresh Blackberry Pie
* Banana Peanut Butter Shake
* Tofu Feta Watermelon Basil Salad
* Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad + lemon
* Summer Wedge Salad + Green Goddess Dressing + Tempeh Bacon Bits
* Simple Summer Heirloom Tomato Salad
* Arugula + Mango + Avocado + Macadamia Nut Salad
* Caesar and Cobb and More Salads in a Jar
Smoothies + Drinks:
* Watermelon Frosty + video or my new chia seeded version
* Lazy Agua Frescas
* Kiwi Basil Smoothie
* Dark and Frosty Acai Smoothie
* Coconut Water Slushee
Light Entrees + Veggie Burgers:
* Spicy Vegan Chili Bean Burgers – red beans & rice
* Summer Rice Wrap Rolls with tofu + Asian slaw
* Easy Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers + avocado
* Sprout-Lovers’ Sandwich + citrus
* Tahini Rice Veggie Burger Sliders + Sunshine Carrot Slaw
* Sunny Mushroom Veggie Burgers
* Florida Avocado Summer Wrap
* Perfect Bagel-wich Lunch + Lemonade Strawberry Frosty
* Lemon Jalapeno Cashew Salad Sandwiches
* Plum and Pluot Parfait
* Summer Berry Puffed Grain Bowl
* Chia Oats + Blueberry + Walnuts
* Strawberry Farro + Walnuts
Had to restrain myself from adding more to this list – but these are some of my favorites for summer. You can browse more recipes in my new visual recipe index!
What are YOU looking forward to making (and eating) most this summer??
Smoothie Book Update. The countdown is on. I am in the final days of writing my 365 Vegan Smoothies manuscript and I have to say I am finally feeling euphoric about this whole process. Sure, there were a few sketchy days where I found myself sobbing over my keyboard, wondering how I was only on recipe #100 of nutritional data calculations – 265 recipes in front of me. And days when my poor husband would come home from work and find me glaring at the computer screen muttering something to myself like, “This is hard! Do you know how many recipes 365 is?!” But my minor meltdowns ran their course and from what I’ve read via other bloggers-turn-cookbook-authors, my crazy-town mood swings are pretty much normal…
“I have heard it said that writing a cookbook is like being pregnant. You’ll eat tons of food, gain a minimal of 15 pounds, and find yourself consumed about the whole process from start to finish.” – Alice of SavorySweetLife (who I had the pleasure of meeting at the Dole California Cook-off a few years back.)
And the Pioneer Woman’s quote, after comparing cookbook-writing to childbirth.. “Wait. Are we talking about writing a cookbook? Or childbirth? Sometimes I get the two confused.” She also says, “Someday I’m going to write a book about writing a cookbook. I wrote on Twitter one day that such a book would contain more suspense, tragedy, and drama than any epic literary work in history. And I still feel that way. Boy, did it mushroom into more of an undertaking than I ever thought it would be.”
Luckily, my “cookbook” is really a smoothie book. So all the recipe testing weight-gain is actually smoothie-overload-bliss – and frazzlement of juggling recipes for breakfast-lunch-dinner and more is absent.
Actually instead of unwanted weight gain, aka the cookbook fifteen, I can happily say that during this process I have gained much in terms of wellness and strength! Testing smoothies (sometimes 5+ mini smoothies a day) actually fueled me with a sort of nutrition-infused energy like never before.
I can honestly say that smoothies have been a wellness cornerstone in my life for many years – and now this super smoothie infusion has basically proven to me why. I can’t wait for you to read all about the wellness and joy to be had from starting a serious smoothie habit. Next spring/summer it will all be revealed.
Meanwhile, here is a glimpse into my writing process.. 🙂
..Everyone writing a book needs two things: a comfy pair of pajamas to wear until noon and a cozy kitty cat purring on your lap. And laptop.
But enough about me, lets get on with SUMMER!! My husband and I are dying to take a trip to hawaii this summer or early fall, but I’m looking for some advice on fave hotels, beaches, restaurants etc. Any ideas?
Any fun plans in store for YOU guys? I want to hear them ALL!!