I’m taking a quick AM detour from my 12 Days of Vegan Treats posts, to bring you some seriously healthy oatmeal. These steel cut oats are sure to keep you warm this winter. Fuyus, citrus, spices and maple syrup. This is comfort by the spoonful. No need to take off those slippers or robe because this is in-house breakfast dining at its best. Plus it’s dirt cheap because you make it from scratch. Ready in 30 minutes. Get some…
Orange Sunrise. This oatmeal is so amazingly delicious that I just had to do a quick post about it. The flavors? Cinnamon, fuyu persimmons, raisins, walnuts, orange zest, maple syrup and creamy cool soy milk. No oil or buttery spread added (or needed). You’ve got to give this healthy oatmeal recipe a try…
Fuyu Spice Healthy Oatmeal
vegan, serves 4
4 cups water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup steel cut oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 dashes cayenne
2 ripe fuyu persimmons
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup Thompson seedless raisins (or golden raisins)
1 tsp orange zest
optional: 2 mandarins, diced
optional: 2 Tbsp flax seeds or meal
optional: substitute 1 cup water with 1 cup apple cider
Topping: more orange zest, cinnamon and maple syrup.
1. Bring water and salt to a boil.
2. Add oats.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Stir in spices and maple syrup.
4. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, stir in chopped fuyus, raisins, walnuts, orange zest and optional ingredients.
6. Let simmer uncovered for five-ten more minutes or until the oatmeal thickens to your desired consistency.
7. Remove from heat and lightly fold in 1 cup of soy milk.
8. Serve hot. Top with maple syrup, cinnamon and orange zest.
Healthy oatmeal made easy. And delicious.