Hearty entree salad for you today! This Potato + Tempeh Bacon + Mushroom Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing has all my faves. I used butter lettuce, though and leafy greens will work. And an avocado fan on top is always a welcome addition to any salad. Grab this recipe…
Potatoes + Mushrooms from the skillet. I kept these pretty simple with salt + pepper to season. EVOO and some diced shallot too.
My usual tempeh bacon was made using mini tempeh cubes and my usual tamari + maple marinade with a heavy handed dose of smoky paprika for smoke and color.
This Salad has Sass.
Sticky-sweet, smoky tempeh bacon bits mingle with skillet potatoes and savory mushrooms. A tangy-sweet (3-ingredient!) no-honey mustard dressing coats everything. A buttery avocado adds even more depth and flavor. Black pepper accents and a nice warm meets cool salad mood. This is the perfect big salad entree or entree salad dinner meal.
How to make your tempeh bacon extra smoky? Add smoky paprika and even a hint of cayenne, chipotle or liquid smoke. Cumin or simple black pepper can also bring warmth. But the two must-have’s for my tempeh bacon: maple syrup and tamari. I add spice to taste. My go-to is usually smoked paprika.
Potatoes in salad. I love this! I think I got obsessed with doing this when I tried a vegan Salad Nicoise Salad a few months ago. And my potatoes in salad kick began. I like to buy the mini potatoes and quarter them. Purple or blue potatoes are fun too.
Mushrooms. Mushrooms are always a hearty addition to a salad. They add some texture and loads of savory texture. My favorite mushrooms are shiitakes, but these baby bella shrooms worked great too! Pump up the flavor in your mushrooms by sauteeing them in garlic or shallots or onion. A splash of wine is a fancy way of making them amazing.
Avo on top…
Meal Kit Fun. This recipe was actually inspired by a Sun Basket meal that I made earlier in the week. We have been experimenting with meal kits lately for fun. I can’t wait to share my results + reviews with you guys! So they had this great tempeh + potato salad with a spicy mustard dressing. They added some tomatoes and other goodies. It was good! But I definitely wanted to put my own spin on things by adding mushrooms, avocado and using my own dressing and bacon recipe. The cool thing about meal kits is that if you LOVE to cook, you can always put your own spin on the given recipes. I’ll talk more about all that in my upcoming review though… (I’m curious if you have a fave meal kit company I should try for my review?? So far I have Amazon Kits, Veestro and Sun Basket.)
Other ingredients that you could try on this salad:
– mandarin oranges
– green beans
– summer corn
– white beans or chickpeas in place of tempeh
– tofu in place of tempeh
– diced cucumber
– chopped celery
Hearty salads are perfect for summer meals..
Potato Bacon Mushroom Salad with Mustard Dressing
By Kathy PatalskyPublished 06/10/2019
This hearty salad includes mushrooms, potatoes, tempeh bacon bits, avocado and butter lettuce. Everything is tossed in a tangy sweet mustard dressing. Vegan and dinner approved!
- 6 cups butter lettuce, chopped (or another leafy green)
- 1/2 avocado, diced or sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 batch of tempeh bacon – mini cube diced
- 1 batch of no-honey mustard dressing
- 1 1/2 cups mini potatoes, quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil for the pan
- Whip up your mustard dressing. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes. Boil until tender, but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Warm a large skillet over high heat. Add a generous drizzle of EVOO.
- Add the shallot to the pan. Cook one minute then add the mushrooms. Cook until soft. Add in the potatoes. Cook potatoes just so the edges brown. Two to five minutes should do it. You can always add more EVOO if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- When your mushrooms are tender and lightly browned on the edges – and potatoes browned and lightly crispy, remove them from the pan. Set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan to make your tempeh bacon.
- Lightly toss the butter lettuce with the mustard dressing. Add the potatoes, mushrooms, bacon and avocado over top. Serve as is or toss to serve. Add more dressing as desired.
Yield: 2 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins. Total time: 30 mins. Tags: salad,mushrooms,tempeh,vegan,dinner,entree,potatoes,mustard,
Pin it for Later…