Waffles are fun to make and the flavor combinations are endless. Not only can you make classic sweet waffles like chocolate, blueberry, vanilla, peanut banana bread and cinnamon-swirl – but also savory waffles you can serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Savory waffles are a creative replacement for bread, biscuits and dinner rolls.
These Cheezy Herbed Savory Waffles are studded with cozy bits of Daiya cheese and flavorful herbs like parsley. They remind me of cheezy biscuits – but with all those crispy waffle nooks and crannies that we all love..
Savory Waffles: Herbed Cheese
vegan, makes about 8 small waffles
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
egg replacer *see note below
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (I used Daiya cheddar shreds)
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
2 Tbsp mixed herb blend – or use freshly chopped herbs (about 1/4 cup)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
add some chopped jalapenos for some spicy flair!
egg replacer options:
* 3 Tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 1/4 cup water to activate
* 1 tsp chia or flax seeds + 1/4 cup water
* 1/3 cup applesauce or butternut squash puree (these will change the flavor a bit)
1. Toss the dry ingredients.
2. Mix together your egg replacer – let sit to thicken a bit (sitting time only needed for seeds or Ener-G replacers.)
3. Add in the wet ingredients, mix well. Fold in the egg replacer.
4. Fold in the fold-ins. Batter should be wet yet slightly thick and chunky.
5. Add a few spoonfuls of batter to a hot waffle iron. Cook through.
6. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Serve warm and crispy on the outside – chewy on inside.
Yay waffles (these are the sweet kind)…