Sweet Potatoes and Pizza.
Versatile indeed.. serve this pizza as a yummy lunch, side dish, movie night appetizer – or add a hearty salad along side and make it the main dinnertime event. Get my recipe and my food confession..
This sweet and savory recipe is a family-pleasing creation. Crunchy roasted pecans, sweet creamy sweet potato mash, sticky sweet caramelized clementine slices, a hint of maple syrup, bold Italian herbs in the crust and a velvety accent of extra virgin olive oil throughout.
Food Confession. Every time I make my own pizza – or order pizza delivery (my NYC pizza faves here) – there is one item I must have at my dinner table. Sweet Potato Mash. I add a hint of maple syrup, garlic powder and olive oil. Then I like to spread my sweet potato mash on top of my pizza as I eat. What? Is that weird? Try it before you mock it pizza puritans! I kid, I kid.. Really, I’m telling you this because I’m quite certain that if you love sweet potatoes, you will love this pizza idea.
So for this recipe, I really just cut out the middle man pizza and added the sweet potato directly to the crust! And you can actually add any topping you can dream up – but this sweet combo won me over.
Do you any food confessions? Or weird food combos? just curious.
Onto the recipe..
(let the kids – if you have any 🙂 – roll out the dough and place the toppings for an extra dinnertime treat!)..
Silly Sweet Potato Pecan Pizza
vegan, makes one pizza
1 ball of pizza dough
1 1/2 Tbsp Italian dried herbs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
Sweet Potato Mash
1 large sweet potato
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
squeeze of clemetine juice (about 1 clementine)
3 clementines or tangerines, peeled/de-seeded/sliced into circles
3/4 cup cheddar cheese slices (I used vegan Follow Your Heart here – Daiya shreds would be yummy too)
3/4 cup chopped roasted/unsalted pecans
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 415 degrees.
2. Start with the dough. (kid-friendly stuff here!) Fold the herbs and olive oil into the plain pizza dough. The start to stretch it out into your pizza shape. Lay it on a pizza pan – brush the top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Set aside.
3. Mash up your baked sweet potato with the other sweet potato mash ingredients. Spread the sweet potato mash over the pizza dough just as you would marinara sauce.
4. Prep your clementines and cheese slices. Sprinkle a thin layer of pecans over top the sweet potato and then add the clementine rounds and cheese. An extra drizzle of olive oil or maple syrup is optional.
5. Bake the pizza for 20 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cool for a few minutes. Slice. Serve. Smile and say “I love sweet potatoes!”