Have a cozy first day of winter with my Spicy Harissa Split Pea Soup!
A creamy, warm bowl of this flavorful soup will make you glad to be coming in from the cold. Split Pea Soup is super cozy, super healthy … and who knew, super easy to make from scratch! This was my very first harissa-accented split pea soup ever and I couldn’t have been more pleased by the delicious results. Try my vegan recipe!…
Simmer this soup and feel good about coming inside after a chilly winter day.
I was frolicking all around town, Times Square and more!..
All I craved was a perfectly creamy, protein-rich soup to perk up my spirits. This soup hit the spot.
Healthy Peas! Peas have 2g fiber, 2g protein per half cup cooked! More pea nutrition facts.
Spicy Harissa Split Pea Soup
vegan, makes one big pot
2 cups dried split peas (organic)
1 ½ cups carrots, diced
1 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
4 cups mushroom broth (or veggie broth)
2 tablespoon spicy harissa
2 tablespoon chopped garlic
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoon agave syrup
1 tablespoon black pepper
1-3 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
¾ cup potato, diced
2 bay leaves
2-3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
1 cup whole peas, frozen or fresh (optional)
Garnish: harissa & soy cheese
1. Soak peas in water for at least 4 hours – overnight will allows for quicker soup cooking.
2. To a large soup pot add the carrots, mushrooms and garlic with a drizzle of EVOO. Saute for a few minutes.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
4. Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for a few hours – or until the peas are tender.
5. When soup is at the taste and texture you like you can add in the optional whole peas. For extra creamy soup, puree it in small batches before serving.
6. Remove bay leaves when soup is done. Serve hot and store in the fridge for up to a few days. Garnish with a dollop of harissa and a few chunks of vegan soy cheese.
Note: be sure to turn the ‘simmer’ heat down to extra low. The last thing you want is a burnt bottom of soup to ruin the whole batch.
Happy Soup Eating!! PS smoky Sweet Tempeh Croutons would be lovely atop this bowl of soup.