This easy Sweet Potato Soup is blended in just a matter of minutes so that you can whip it up in a flash. So if you are in the mood for some cozy soup, but do not feel like spending hours slow-simmering some stew, make this! It is made special by serving with buttery cubes of avocado on top. Corn chips or tortilla strips on top too. I season it with my favorite spices and accents like chipotle and lime. And this healthy blend is loaded with vitamin A! Get this fan-fave recipe!..
Sweet Potato Soup. In a Flash.
This is an HHL fan-fave recipe, so I decided to update it with a few new photos for you guys. Recipe VIDEO too! Hope you guys love this easy, delicious soup as much as I do!
And of course, it all starts with a sticky-sweet baked sweet potato..
Reminds me of my Sweet Potato Burger recipe! Same flavors, different form…
Soup, Made in your Blender.
Oh I love soup this time of year. Just hand me a giant bowl of steamy soup with some toast on the side and I am a happy girl. And this sweet potato soup uses my favorite food .. sweet potatoes!
This soup kind of reminds me of THIS! It is like the soup version.
Change it Up. Pumpkin or Squash Too.
Not sweet potatoes? Craving pumpkin or winter squash? I actually have two recipe versions for you. One that includes a slow, oven-baked sweet potato as the base – as shown in my photos. Or you can sub in canned pumpkin OR butternut squash puree in place of the potato.
I loved this soup so much that I enjoyed the sweet potato version for lunch and whipped up a canned pumpkin version at dinnertime.
Broth. The first time I made this, I used Imagine Foods vegan No-Chicken Broth. It has a very savory veggie flavor that I love. But vegetable broth is perfect to substitute if needed. You can even use water, when in a pinch. I just add in a few additional spices like cumin and maybe even onion powder too, and of course salt – since broth is salted and water is not.
I sometimes add in non-dairy milk for added creaminess, and sometimes I just go with all broth or water. It depends on my mood for texture!
Another spin on this recipe is my Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup. It has the same sort of flavors and is a great way to eat more cauliflower!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 sweet potato, medium
- 1 cup vegetable broth*
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk, optional – more broth or water can be subbed
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- handful or tortilla chips, crushed
- sprinkle of smoky paprika
- squeeze of lime juice***
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil, for added richness
Bake Sweet Potato:
- Warm oven to 450 degrees. Pierce a few form holes in the sweet potato and bake for 40-60 minutes, or until sticky-sweet and tender. (For a quicker soup, you can peel, dice and boil the potato, or cook, skin on, in the microwave.)
- When potato is baked, cool for a few minutes for easy handling, then peel away skin.
- Add to blender: sweet potato flesh, broth, optional non-dairy milk, garlic, maple, lime, chipotle powder. Blend from low to high until smooth. Salt to taste.
- To warm soup, turn your blender on the ‘soup’ setting. Serve directly from the blender — OR To warm and remove air bubbles, pour soup into a soup pot and simmer on medium for 5-10 minutes until reduced and air bubbles removed.
- Pour soup into serving bowls.
- Top with diced avocado, chips, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, sprinkle of smoky paprika and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
- large soup pot
nutrition estimate | per serving
Pumpkin or Butternut Squash Version: You can use the same recipe, subbing out the sweet potato. You may need less liquid to thin out this version of soup. You will need more salt since the pumpkin and squash are both very bland on their own.
Craving more vegan soup ideas? Browse the soups section in my visual recipe index.