This easy Sweet Potato Soup is blended in just a matter of minutes so that you can whip it up in a flash. So if you are in the mood for some cozy soup, but do not feel like spending hours slow-simmering some stew, make this! It is made special by serving with buttery cubes of avocado on top. Corn chips or tortilla strips on top too. I season it with my favorite spices and accents like chipotle and lime. And this healthy blend is loaded with vitamin A! Get this fan-fave recipe!..
Sweet Potato Soup. In a Flash.
This is an HHL fan-fave recipe, so I decided to update it with a few new photos for you guys. Recipe VIDEO too! Hope you guys love this easy, delicious soup as much as I do!
And of course, it all starts with a sticky-sweet baked sweet potato..
Soup, Made in your Blender.
Oh I love soup this time of year. Just hand me a giant bowl of steamy soup with some toast on the side and I am a happy girl. And this sweet potato soup uses my favorite food .. sweet potatoes!
This soup kind of reminds me of THIS! It is like the soup version.
Change it Up. Pumpkin or Squash Too. Not sweet potatoes? Craving pumpkin or winter squash? I actually have two recipe versions for you. One that includes a slow, oven-baked sweet potato as the base – as shown in my photos. Or you can sub in canned pumpkin OR butternut squash puree in place of the potato.
I loved this soup so much that I enjoyed the sweet potato version for lunch and whipped up a canned pumpkin version at dinnertime.
Broth. The first time I made this, I used Imagine Foods vegan No-Chicken Broth. It has a very savory veggie flavor that I love. But vegetable broth is perfect to substitute if needed. You can even use water, when in a pinch. I just add in a few additional spices like cumin and maybe even onion powder too, and of course salt – since broth is salted and water is not.
SWEET POTATO SOUP IN A FLASH
- 1 sweet potato, medium
- 1 cup vegetable broth*
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, plain or unsweetened
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp chipotle powder, or to taste**
- 1 avocado, diced
- handful or tortilla chips, crushed (or warmed corn tortillas, cut into strips)
- sprinkle of smoky paprika
- squeeze of lime juice
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- cayenne, cumin, ginger powder and/or smoky paprika to taste
- salt, to taste
- Warm oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce a few form holes in the sweet potato and bake for about an hour, or until sticky-sweet and tender. (For a quicker soup, you can boil the potato, or even use the microwave, but the flavor will not be as bold.)
- When potato is baked, peel away skin.
- Add to blender: sweet potato flesh, broth, non-dairy milk, garlic, lime, chipotle powder. Blend from low to high until smooth. Do a taste test and adjust seasoning to taste.
- To warm soup, turn your blender on the ‘soup’ setting. If you do not have a soup setting, pour the soup into a small sauce pot and simmer on low heat until warmed.
- Pour soup into serving bowls.
- Top with diced avocado, corn chips or tortillas, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkle of smoky paprika. Enjoy!
** if you do not have chipotle powder, sub with cayenne, smoky paprika or fresh jalapeño
nutrition estimate | per serving
Pin-it for later:
Pumpkin or Butternut Squash Version: You can use the same recipe, subbing out the sweet potato. You may need less liquid to thin out this version of soup. You will need more salt since the pumpkin and squash are both very bland on their own.
Craving more vegan soup ideas? Browse the soups section in my visual recipe index.