If you are in need of a cozy, warm hug via a soup bowl, this Potato Cauliflower Soup is it.
This simple-ingredient soup can be whipped up in under thirty minutes and offers a satisfying way to add some veggies to your day. It is also a very pantry-friendly meal which is perfect for the times we are living in right now.
If you have some potatoes and cauliflower, you can swing this soup!…
Creamy Cashew Soup
The secret ingredient for making this soup extra creamy is simple, raw cashews. Cashews not only add creaminess and richness, but nutrients and healthy fats.
If you do not have cashews, you could sub with walnuts or you can simply use extra virgin olive oil to add richness.
Other Flavors I Used
I use very simple flavors in this soup. Salt, pepper and some garlic granules. If you have fresh garlic (I was out) you can absolutely use that instead.
But really, the cozy potatoes and cauliflower add a lot of flavor all on their own.
What About Cheese???
So normall, I add nutritional yeast to my potato soups. But for this one, I like to have the subtle potato flavor really stand out. And cheesiness from either nooch or vegan cheese can be very strong and take over the flavor profile. So I did not add any cheese today, but if you are in a cheesy mood you can absolutely add it!
The best add-ins for adding cheezy flavor via plants: vegan cheese, shredded or slices, nutritional yeast. I would use a provolone, white cheddar or even Parmesan for this soup.
Optional Toppings to Add
Some yummy toppings you could add include:
- tempeh bits – homemade
- vegan ‘bacon’ bits – store bought – these have a nice smoky flavor
- chopped chives or other fresh herbs
- chopped greens like kale
- black pepper
- croutons or crostini
- white beans folded or blended in
Potato Cauliflower Soup
- 5 cups potato, peeled + diced, white potato
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp garlic granules, or raw garlic
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 3/4 cups cashews, raw
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, optional
Fold in and Toppings:
- set aside potato and cauliflower bits, – reserve about 3/4 cup
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 3 tbsp greens or herbs, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Peel potato and chop cauliflower into large florets – rough chop fine.
- Add the potato to the boiling water and boil until tender. About three minutes before the potatoes are done, add in the cauliflower to cook until tender.
- Drain water and add the potatoes and cauliflower to a blender — reserve about 1/2 – 3/4 cup of the cooked veggies to the side — this is what will give the soup a slightly chunky texture.
- Also add to the blender: veggie broth, cashews, garlic, salt, pepper and optional EVOO. Blend from low to high until silky smooth. Blending will take a few minutes. When soup is blended, do a taste test and add any additional salt/pepper/garlic to taste.
- Rinse your big soup pot and pour the soup back into the pot. Stir in the set aside chunky veggies. Turn heat to low and cover with lid. Allow to simmer for about ten minutes.Serve warm! Add EVOO, chopped herbs, pepper and anything else you'd like on top.
- soup pot
- potato peeler or sturdy peeling knife
- if you do not have cauliflower, you could just use all potato.
- if you do not have cashews, you can sub about 4 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil instead and reduce the broth by 1/2 cup.
- other add-in you can try: white beans blended into the soup.