This 5-Ingredient (No Cook!) Tomato Soup is a perfect quickie lunch or dinner. Comfort food vibes with loads of flavor. And nothing looks prettier than little pillows of grilled cheese croutons dipped in rich red, velvety soup. Really, this is probably my favorite way to eat grilled cheese.
And yes you read that right, this soup is basically a no-cook recipe! As in, no stove needed. You make and “cook” this soup all in a high-speed blender. But don’t worry, if you only have a basic blender, you can still make this soup, just with an added step of warming it in your stove.
Grab a big soup spoon!…
Steamy soup, fresh from the Vitamix!..
Rich color and texture..
Easy vegan grilled cheese croutons..
Go for a swim little cheesy cubes..
Love these flavors!..
I bought a big box of crushed tomatoes yesterday for one reason only, to make this soup. I had just bought a brand new vegan cheese at Whole Foods and I was so excited to try it in a grilled cheese sandwich. And so, obviously when my mind went to grilled cheese, it bounced over to tomato soup. But I wanted super simple. Super easy. Lunchtime approved.
So I kept the ingredients very simple and hoped that the flavor and texture would hold up. It did.
A few recipe notes for you..
Melty Vegan Cheeses to try:
– Follow Your Heart
– Violife (I used the Mature Cheddar sices for this!)
– So Delicious
…so many options! More in my vegan cheese guide.
Go with a high quality tomato, since this is the main ingredient for your soup. And by high quality, I personally love the imported tomatoes that come in a box. Mine were pomodoro tomatoes, by SMT brand. San marzano tomatoes would also be really yummy. Or you can even go super Martha Stewart on me and roast your own fresh tomatoes for blending, kinda like I did here.
I used a rosemary sourdough bread which was SO perfect with tomato soup. Rosemary is a lovely herb accent if you want to play around with that.
No cauliflower? No problem!
If you need to sub something in place of the cauliflower, a great option is cashews. A handful of raw cashews should do it. And by ‘do it,’ I mean add some texture and oomph to your soup.
Other veggies you could sub in include carrots or potato – just make sure they are cooked/steamed to soften first.
Another creamy spin on tomato soup: adding tahini! I love this variation too.
Sub for vegan butter?
Sure thing. Try extra virgin olive oil with salt to taste. Or try raw cashews as suggested above for the veggie sub.
This lunch was so soothing and fun on a busy afternoon. Life now is that we are actually moving at the end of the month, so the next few weeks are going to be a bit crazy over here. Luckily we are packing pros by now. We aren’t moving far though, thank goodness. Excited for a fresh start!
Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 25 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets, another veggie like potato or carrot would work too
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- pinch cayenne or red pepper flakes, for heat
Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices vegan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil, for pan
- 1-3 small ice cubes
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, vegan butter, cauliflower and nutritional yeast to a high speed blender.
- Blend on your “soup” setting. Let your blender run until the soup is hot and steamy.
- Do a taste test and add the salt, pepper, agave and cayenne if desired — I added everything except the cayenne this time around.
- Pour and serve. If you need to re-heat the soup, you can do so on your stovetop or in the microwave. Make-ahead approved!
- Top with: fresh basil, a drizzle of EVOO or grilled cheese croutons!
- To make the grilled cheese croutons: Warm a large skillet over high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil to coat the pan. Slice your bread into halves or quarters and fill with vegan cheese of your choice. Place sandwiches into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip. turn heat to low, add a small ice cube, and cover the pan with a lid — the steam will help melt the cheese. Turn off heat and let the sandwiches rest for a minute before slicing into smaller cubes for your soup.
nutrition estimate | per serving
More tomato Soup recipes here on the blog..