This 5-Ingredient (No Cook!) Tomato Soup is a perfect quickie lunch or dinner. Comfort food vibes with loads of flavor. And nothing looks prettier than little pillows of grilled cheese croutons dipped in rich red, velvety soup. Really, this is probably my favorite way to eat grilled cheese.
And yes you read that right, this soup is basically a no-cook recipe! As in, no stove needed. You make and “cook” this soup all in a high-speed blender. But don’t worry, if you only have a basic blender, you can still make this soup, just with an added step of warming it in your stove.
Grab a big soup spoon!…
Steamy soup, fresh from the Vitamix!..
Rich color and texture..
Easy vegan grilled cheese croutons..
Go for a swim little cheesy cubes..
Love these flavors!..
I bought a big box of crushed tomatoes yesterday for one reason only, to make this soup. I had just bought a brand new vegan cheese at Whole Foods and I was so excited to try it in a grilled cheese sandwich. And so, obviously when my mind went to grilled cheese, it bounced over to tomato soup. But I wanted super simple. Super easy. Lunchtime approved.
So I kept the ingredients very simple and hoped that the flavor and texture would hold up. It did.
A few recipe notes for you..
Melty Vegan Cheeses to try:
– Follow Your Heart
– Violife (I used the Mature Cheddar sices for this!)
– So Delicious
…so many options! More in my vegan cheese guide.
Tomatoes. Go with a high quality tomato, since this is the main ingredient for your soup. And by high quality, I personally love the imported tomatoes that come in a box. Mine were pomodoro tomatoes, by SMT brand. San marzano tomatoes would also be really yummy. Or you can even go super Martha Stewart on me and roast your own fresh tomatoes for blending, kinda like I did here.
Bread. I used a rosemary sourdough bread which was SO perfect with tomato soup. Rosemary is a lovely herb accent if you want to play around with that.
No cauliflower? If you need to sub something in place of the cauliflower, a great option is cashews. A handful of raw cashews should do it. And by ‘do it,’ I mean add some texture and oomph to your soup.
Another creamy spin on tomato soup: adding tahini! I love this variation too.
Sub for vegan butter? Sure thing. Try extra virgin olive oil with salt to taste. Or try raw cashews, again, salting to taste. Or try some vegan mayo, probably just one tablespoon. Or tahini, as mentioned above.
This lunch was so soothing and fun on a busy afternoon. Life now is that we are actually moving at the end of the month, so the next few weeks are going to be a bit crazy over here. Luckily we are packing pros by now. We aren’t moving far though, thank goodness. And I am excited to eventually show you guys around our new place! I will admit that I have spent way too much time on design websites lately. I spent the past week researching daybeds for my office space. I finally found one in my budget that I think looks super cozy. We will see! The funny thing is, in all the places we have lived over the past twelve years together, there has only been one place where I actually had my own “office” space. So I am pretty excited to have that again.
Ok, ok, enough rambling, happy soup making guys! Let me know if you love this one!…
5-Ingredient (No Cook!) Tomato Soup
By Kathy PatalskyPublished 08/14/2018
This super rich and creamy tomato soup has a bright flavor with a hint of savory warmth from garlic, nutritional yeast and optional pepper. This no-cook method uses a blender to heat things up!
- 25oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets (frozen) – fresh works too
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- salt and black pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne if you like some added heat
- Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- 2-4 slices of sourdough bread (rosemary sourdough is even better!)
- 1-2 slices of vegan cheese — use a brand that you know will melt well. Suggestions in this post.
- extra virgin olive oil
- small ice cube
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, vegan butter, cauliflower and nutritional yeast to a high speed blender.
- Blend on your “soup” setting. Let your blender run until the soup is hot and steamy.
- Do a taste test and add the salt, pepper, agave and cayenne if desired — I added everything except the cayenne this time around.
- Pour and serve. If you need to re-heat the soup, you can do so on your stovetop or in the microwave. Make-ahead approved!
- Top with: fresh basil, a drizzle of EVOO or grilled cheese croutons!
- To make the grilled cheese croutons: Warm a large skillet over high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil to coat the pan. Slice your bread into halves or quarters and fill with vegan cheese of your choice. Place sandwiches into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip. turn heat to low, add a small ice cube, and cover the pan with a lid — the steam will help melt the cheese. Turn off heat and let the sandwiches rest for a minute before slicing into smaller cubes for your soup.
Yield: 3 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 10 mins. Total time: 15 mins. Tags: soup,cheese,tomato,tomato soup, blender recipes, vitamix,easy,lunch,sandwich,vegan,dinner,
Pin it for later..
More tomato Soup recipes here on the blog..