A little taste of fall in July is fine by me when the I’m biting into a fluffy, cream-cheese frosted, spice-infused vegan “cinnamon bun” cake!
Sweet swirls of cinnamon, vegan butter and baked walnuts unravel in each pumpkin spice – fluffy cake bite. Vegan cream cheese frosting is the perfect cool light topping for this super moist cake. Each fork-ful tastes like a cinnamon bun – only softer, fluffier and a tad more decadent. Dessert approved. Get my recipe for vegan Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Bun Cake with vegan Cream Cheese Frosting…
Note: My cakes were still warm when I frosted – that’s why the frosting has a slightly “melted” effect. For no melting – cool cakes completely. But delicious either way!
Pumpkin in July. I had a rare can of pumpkin – in the middle of summer. This pumpkin was not easy to come by – if you have ever tried to buy a can of pumpkin in July, you will know this. Whole Foods told me it was a “seasonal item” and several other stores the same. Finally, my husband found me some at .. Target. I’ll take it!
I was making a few pumpkin-infused recipes for a side project – and this was one of them. It was an experiment really. I had heaps of leftover cream cheese frosting from another recipe (plus some leftover pumpkin) – and instead of making pumpkin cinnamon rolls, I decided to make a cinnamon roll inspired cake. Quite tasty. And fun.
Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Bun Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
vegan, makes one 9″ layer cake
2 ½ cups flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup cane sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup soy milk
½ cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer + 3 tablespoon water to activate (optional)
Sweet Cinna-Nut Swirl
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
½ cup vegan butter – melted
½ cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon cayenne
Fluffy Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting (my recipe posted here)
8 ounces tofu cream cheese
½ cup vegan butter – softened
½ cup vegan shortening – softened
½ cup vegan sour cream
5 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoon soy milk or soy creamer
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
3 tablespoon corn starch
2-3 tablespoon dark grade maple syrup
pinch of salt (or to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 8″ or 9″ circle cake pans.
2. Combine the dry cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss well. Fold in the wet ingredients.
3. Mix up the cinnamon swirl in a separate bowl.
4. Fold the Ener-G egg replacer into the cake ingredients if using.
5. Pour batter into cake tins. Swirl equal amounts of the cinna-swirl mix into the batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes – or until edges start to lightly brown.
7. Cool cakes completely before frosting.
8. Prepare your vegan cream cheese frosting (can also be done a day ahead). Blend all ingredients with a hand or counter top mixer. Blend until smooth and creamy. Chill in fridge until frosting firms up a bit.
9. Frost your cake. Garnish with cinnamon. Serve!