Give your ‘pasta night’ a spicy boost of decadent flavor and protein. My recipe for Vegan Spicy Sausage Pappardelle Pasta with a Honeycrisp Apple ‘Fan’ is just what you crave when ‘tomato sauce and pasta’ just isn’t enough.
Apples and Sausage. Honeycrisp apples are my favorite! And their bright, sweet, acidic apple flavor pairs perfectly with spicy grain-sage (vegan sausage). Yes, this sausage by the Field Roast brand is vegan. And it’s super flavorful. When sauteed the flavor is moist and chewy with a vibrant Chipotle Mexican spice kick. This is a one-dish meal that will impress just about anyone (veg or not.) Get the easy recipe…
Honeycrisp Apple Inspiration. Wow, what a combo. My inspiration for this elegant dish was the organic Honeycrisp apples I’ve been eating lately and this new product I discovered from Field Roast Grain Meat Co.-vegan sausage. The funny thing is even if you hated sausage before you went veg-like I did, you’ll probably love this grain meat flavor. It’s packed with protein, however it’s not low in fat. The flavor is so intense, that a little grain-sage goes a long way-flavor dense! If it’s a decadent pasta dish you crave, this one is for you. But don’t worry, the bold flavor of the grain-sage is cut perfectly with the acidic sweet flavor of the crisp bright Honeycrisp apples.
Vegan Spicy Sausage Pappardelle Pasta with Honeycrisp Apple ‘Fan’
vegan, serves 4
2 medium organic Honeycrisp apples
1-2 Field Roast Grain Meat Co. brand vegan sausages (Mexican Chipotle flavor)
4 cups cooked organic papardelle pasta
1 1/2 cups ‘spicy’ marinara sauce
*I used Lucini brand, Spicy Tuscan
1/4 cup roasted red pepper strips, sliced (bottled in EVOO)
1/4 cup white onions, sliced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2-3 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
10 grape tomatoes, halved
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
handful parsley, chopped
black pepper to taste
1. Prep your veggies. Slice your mushrooms, onion, pepper strips and tomatoes. I like to let my veggies soak in a few Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and olive oil before I saute them.
2. Toast you pine nuts. Toast in a dry skillet over medium heat until browned. Set aside.
3. Heat your pasta sauce in microwave or stove top. Set aside. Cook your pasta in sea salted water. Once pasta is cooked, drain and toss it in your heated pasta sauce. You can add a few dashes of red pepper flakes, a few pine nuts and a dash fresh parsley too. Toss well. Cover and set aside.
4. Slice your sausage links into 1/4-1/2 inch thick circles. Spray saute pan with oil and place sausage circle in pan. Saute over med-high heat until cooked through and edges are crisply light brown. Set aside uncovered.
5. Saute your veggies over high heat for a few minutes. When veggies are just about done, add in the cooked sausage. Toss a few minutes until all ingredients are hot and sizzling.
6. Plating: Pour your sauced pasta in a large serving bowl. Add a drizzle of leftover heated pasta sauce (optional). Pour you veggies and sausage saute over top. Sprinkle your toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley over top.
7. Apples: Slice your apples into thin ‘fan slices’. Soak in 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar or lemo juice. On each pasta plate, create a ‘fan’ of apple slices. Add pasta and serve!
Lots of yummy photos to peruse…