Today I am sharing a few things with you guys. First off, this yummy recipe for avocado toast, Avocado Hamil-toast – avocado toast with warm skillet plantains on top, with lime and a hint of garlic. SO good! This toast is inspired by one of my favorite things right now, Hamilton the musical, created by the genius Lin-Manuel Miranda. (I’ll explain the toast-flavor connection a few paragraphs down!)
The Tony Awards are this Sunday June 12th. I will be “toasting” Hamilton and Lin-Manuel with some Avocado Hamil-toast. Hamilton has 16 Tony Award nominations.
So in the spirit of the toast, I mean this post, the second thing I am sharing, a few of my pics from when I visited NYC and saw Hamilton a few weeks ago — one of the most inspiring and beautiful theater / life experiences ever! Alexander and avocados…
This toast is super satisfying and flavorful. Buttery avocados top warm toast and then on top, sticky-sweet warm skillet plantains with lime and garlic..
I hope Lin-Manuel would approve..
So why is this plantain-topped dish called Alexander Hamil-toast?? Avocado Hamil-toast with plantains is inspired by Lin-Manuel’s Puerto Rican heritage. Miranda’s parents are Puerto Rican. And this all worked out since I just happen to have a pile of plantains in my fruit bowl because I loooooove them.
Fellow Hamilton fan? Get loads of my Hamilton stage door pics at the bottom!
Avocado Toast with skillet Plantains and Lime
By Kathy PatalskyPublished 06/11/2016
Avocado Toast with warm, sticky-sweet skillet plantains with garlic and red onion. Lime and smoked paprika to accent.
- 2 slices of bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced or mashed
- 1 plantain, diced
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- salt, pepper and smoked paprika to taste
- 2-3 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil for pan
- optional: 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Warm the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add the plantains and toss well. Cook 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and onion. Cook another 1-2 minutes to lightly caramelize the onion. Optional: to add a bolder sweetness, drizzle one teaspoon maple syrup over top. Turn off heat and let plantains cool for a minute before using.
- Toast bread and add avocado – either mashed or sliced.
- Add the plantain mixture over top the avocado. Squeeze lime over top. Optional: add lime zest over top. Add salt, pepper and smoky paprika to taste. Slice and serve.
Yield: 2 toastsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 07 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 07 mins. Total time: 14 mins. Tags: avocado,bread,avocado toast,onion,plantain,appetizer,sandwich,snack,
Enjoy the Tony Awards and this Hamil-toast 🙂 IF you are a fan of Hamilton, leave me a comment about that so we can rave together.
Read all about my Hamilton NYC travel adventure!
This is recipe #6 in the summer 15..
Summer15 HHL Recipes:
1. Corn Fritters with avocado salsa.
2. Pink Flamingo Cheesecake Bars
3. Summer Salad in a Jar
4. Copycat Green Tea Frappuccino
5. Sticky-Sweet BBQ Apricot Tempeh Salad with avocado
6. Avocado Hamil-toast (avocado toast with skillet plantains)
7. Cherry Pie Cookies
8. Mother of Dragonfruit Smoothie Bowl
9. Almond Butter S’mores
10. DIY Pink Drink
11. Cheezy Sauce for Pasta with Kale
12. Summer Salad: Chili-Lime Mango-Avocado Quinoa Power Salad
13. Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream