There are a lot of people working from home these past few weeks and when one works from home, you need a few yummy, healthy sandwich recipes up your sleeve. Today’s Green Crunch ‘n ‘Cado Sandwich is what I have been making lately.
It combines buttery avocado and lots of crunchy romaine lettuce with a thick layer of hummus, a few fresh pickles, black pepper and some optional other add-ins all on my half-toasted sprouted grain bread. If you want a cravable sandwich with some serious crunch power, give this a go!…
Why I Love this Sandwich
I love the crunch in this Green Crunch ‘n ‘Cado Sandwich so much! Where does the crunch come from? The thick layer of romaine leaves and those thin pickle slices too. The crisp romaine adds so much refreshing texture to this sandwich. Tip: Pile the romaine as high as you can for the most crunch-power!
But don’t let the mega-amount of greens fool you. Also in there, rich avocado and some yummy, satisfying hummus too – especially nice for a salty kick of flavor. I love garlic hummus or original for this lunch sandwich.
You can buy your fave store-bought brand or better yet: DIY your hummus ahead of time.
I also love how I specialty toast the bread to get a half-toasted effect..
Half-Toasted Bread Trick
My new obsession for any sandwich. I do this for PBJs all the time and now I love it for lunchtime veggie sandwiches too. The trick is to place two slices of bread in the same toasted slot. Then toast as usual. You get bread that is crunchy and toasted on one side and soft, yet warmed on the other.
Then when you assemble your sandwich, you always place the toasted side in. The soft side out. This way you get that soft feel of sandwich bread, but all the toasted flavor and texture and sturdiness you also want!
Lunch Sandwich Serving Suggestions
- baby carrots
- beanfield’s chips (obsessed with these lately)
- ginger tea
- pomegranate juice
- iced tea
- corn chips
- salted nuts
- cookie or peanut butter cup for dessert! (a must!)
Other Sandwich Topping Ideas:
I actually like to add some Dijon mustard and a bit of vegan mayo to my Green Crunch ‘n ‘Cado Sandwich too. I guess you can say I love lots of sauces! But a few other veggies and toppings you could try:
- tempeh bacon (This would be so yummy on this!)
- vegan cheese (pepper jack or provolone would be my picks)
- thinly sliced onion
- shredded carrots
- roasted red pepper
- baby spinach
- butter lettuce in place of romaine
- black pepper
Green Crunch ‘n ‘Cado Sandwich
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 fresh pickle, sliced
- 5 leaves romaine lettuce
- 3 Tbsp hummus
- black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard, optional
- 1-2 tsp vegan mayo, optional
- Half toast the bread using my method: Place the two slices in one toasted slot. this will toast one side and just warm and soften the other.
- Arrange sandwich so that the soft sides face out, toppings piled on the toasted sides.
- Add the hummus, avocado, pickles, romaine, pepper. Add optional Dijon and mayo to the other slice.
- Close sandwich. Slice and serve! I like baby carrots and a few chips.