Magical is a good word for this loaf..
Stressed out? Feeling crunched beneath a foot of invisible, metaphorical December snow? Super busy? Feeling fatigued instead of festive? And even worse.. Are you tummy-grumbling hungry? Grab a slice of this kinda-magical banana bread from the fridge! One bite and your tense, busy nerves will melt like marshmallows browning over a crackling winter fire. You’ll feel like sugared snowflakes are dancing across your window as White Christmas and Jingle Bell Rock hum from your iPhone.
Yes, really, this banana bread does just that.
Don’t believe me? Take a crack at this recipe and you be the judge..
Here is a holiday spin on banana bread that turned out SO delicious! I added some holiday flavors like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, molasses and citrus.
This loaf is super fluffy, hearty and sliced like a dream. I used vegan butter instead of coconut oil, which I usually bake with, and the difference is sublime. I think the bread chills a lot better without getting too hard in the fridge. Which means I could easily nibble on a slice straight from the fridge.
In love with this recipe so much I am going to make it again as soon as my bananas ripen enough!
This would be a lovely snack to serve at a holiday party or gathering or on Christmas eve or morning.
Bonus. The whole kitchen smells like banana-spice-vanilla-citrus heaven when you pull open the oven…
Holiday Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Wet: (blender)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- ½ cup vegan butter (1 stick Earth Balance), melted
- 2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 satsuma/tangerine, peeled + ½ teaspoon zest
- 3 small bananas + 1 large banana OR 3 large bananas (ripe with black spots on peel)
- Fold in:
- ½ cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1 small banana, thinly sliced
- For pan: virgin coconut oil (or vegan butter)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a loaf baking pan with virgin coconut oil.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a blender or Vitamix, add all wet ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry bowl and stir to combine. Fold in sliced banana and pecans.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees — or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Loaf will be slightly browned on top when done.
- Store leftovers in the fridge — this loaf is delicious warm or chilled.
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
And for more holiday recipe inspiration, check out my Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen Holiday Lookbook…