These (Pan-Banged) Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are browned and crispy on the edges and bottoms, while super moist, buttery and gooey in the center. Melty puddles of chocolate chips in every bite. Crunchy walnuts and a hint of vanilla. Get this recipe, plus a very loud cookie-baking trick!..
The dough, after a night in the fridge..
Melty chocolate puddles. The chips smash down from the pan-banging process. Softy Chocolate Chip Cookie bliss.
Pan-banged Cookies Trick
So first things first. The trick. I first learned about the “pan-banging” cookie trick while watching an Instagram Live by Gaby or What’s Gaby Cooking. Love her. Then i googled and found that indeed, this was a thing. Here are just a few places that chat about this trick and what it does to cookies…
These ‘pan-banged’ cookies are sometimes called ‘crinkled’ or ‘tree stump ringed’ cookies.
So what’s the Pan-Banging Trick? Well, about two-thirds of the cooking time through, you remove the cookie sheet from the oven and pan-bang the cookies. You plop them onto a flat surface like your counter or cutting board or stove. The cookies will flatten, crinkle and de-puff any round poof that they have. Then you place the pan back in the oven and keep cooking. You can even do another pan-drop at the very end of the cooking process for added crinkling.
Play around with this technique! See if you like it!
I find that the chocolate smashes down too which is really kinda fun. Instead of globby chips, you get sort of pools of spread chocolate.
Tofu. Secret to softy.
The next thing about this Softy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is the silken tofu. This is my go-to cookie recipe and I posted another version of it here.
Give ’em a Try
I totally love these Softy Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are very buttery and rich, yet fluffy and gooey. Just the edges and bottoms get that nice golden-brown caramel crunch and the insides stay cakey, gooey and dreamy. Melty-chocolate and crunchy walnuts galore. Hope you can try this recipe…
Softy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 sticks vegan butter, room temp
- ¾ cup organic brown sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg or 1 ‘Neat Egg’
- 7 oz silken tofu
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1-2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup raw walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Beat until as smooth as possible.
- Add in one cup of flour and the baking soda and salt. Beat until creamy. Then add in the remaining flour and beat until fluffy and smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate and walnuts.
- Chip the dough in the fridge overnight for best flavor — but you could bake right away if needed.
- Bake at 350 for ten minutes. Then remove the baking sheet and “bang it” on a flat counter surface by dropping it about 2-3 inches. Make sure the baking sheet stays very flat so the cookies don’t slide off. This will help spread and crinkle the cookies! Place the cookies back in the oven for another 4-5 minutes. Optional: sprinkle coarse sea salt over top the cookies before placing back in the oven.
- Cool cookies on a cooling rack. Enjoy!
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl