Smooth Cranberry Sauce for Thanksgiving is here! I’m so excited to share this easy recipe for your holiday feast. This one will really zing! things up with color and flavor.
My favorite cranberry sauce used to come from a can. Yup, I was a jellied cranberry sauce kind of girl. I never liked the chunky stuff. As I grew up, I started to enjoy chunky-style homemade cranberry sauce. I also liked that homemade meant that I could modify the sugar a bit. That canned stuff was just way too sweet for my adult taste buds. But today’s recipe has the best of both worlds! You can DIY your sauce, make it smooth and creamy, silky and vibrant while also adding as much or as little sugar as your taste buds desire….
Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
Looking for even more recipes for your holiday table? Check these posts out…
- 25 reasons to host a vegan Thanksgiving
- Vegan Thanksgiving Guide + Recipe Collection
- Wild Blueberry Cranberry Sauce
- Green Bean Casserole
- Sweet Potato Pockets
- Mushroom Gravy
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
All you need to do to get a smooth (or jellied) style sauce at home is one thing: blend it! Blending your sauce is just one extra step that takes a few minutes, but brings you chunky sauce to Smooth Cranberry Sauce perfection.
After you prepare your sauce as you usually would, just pour it into a blender and blend until smooth and silky. then pour back into your serving dish, chill and serve the next day or in a few hours. Easy!
Sugar in Cranberry Sauce
In my opinion, most cranberry sauces have way too much sugar in them. The recipe on the back of the bag of cranberries that I bought for this recipe even recommended one cup of sugar. I scaled it way down to ¼ cup, and added in some fresh tangerine juice – just a bit, plus some zest, and I personally love the natural sweetness meets tart berry flavor. If you like things a bit sweeter, feel free to add more sugar.
Cranberries are so good for you! They are rich in fiber and loaded with antioxidants. Just check out that gorgeous bright pink color. Berries are rich in “polyphenolics and isoprenoids.” – 6 more health benefits here.
Smooth Cranberry Sauce
- 12 oz fresh whole cranberries, organic preferred
- ¼ cup organic raw sugar, ***
- 1 satsuma
- 1 cup water
- Rinse the cranberries in cool water.
- Add the cranberries, water and sugar to a medium sauce pot. Zest the satsuma over top the berries, then squeeze the juice into the pot.
- Bring the cranberry mixture to a slow boil, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for ten minutes.
- turn off the heat and remove the lid of the berries. They should be very soft and popped by now. Let them cool for two minutes.
- Pour the cranberry mixture into your blender container. Place lid on. Blend from low to high for 2-3 minutes – or until silky smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into your serving dish. Cover with plastic wrap or some sort of lid.
- Chill for at least two hours before serving.
- sauce pot
nutrition estimate | per serving
Pin it for later…