I made these Tempeh Sloppy Joes two times last week. They were so delicious and filling — and easy to make that I am definitely putting this recipe in my dinnertime recipe rotation. Check them out!..
Vegan Sloppy Joes
These Tempeh Sloppy Joes have been loaded up with my easy BBQ tempeh skillet mixture. Then I added some vegan mayo, bread and butter pickles, and optional mustard. I piled the filling into pretzel bun rolls, but you could easily use regular hamburger buns or even a wrap or pita bread. Even two slices of toast would work. I also added some speedy cole slaw one night, then the other night I simply added some spinach greens on top.
This is a speedy, delicious plant-based meal that is protein-packed and perfect for picky eaters who love the tomato-y, sassy-sweet, classic flavor of a sloppy joe!
Pretty sure this little girl is going to be a sloppy joe lover soon! Actually, I gave her some of the filling mixture and she devoured all of it! #NewEater Seven months and loving her food journey!…
Fast Vegan Dinner
Ignore the cat food on the counter, below, I made these on a busy night where Rosalie was crawling around getting into everything on the floor. But I pulled off these sloppy joes! I felt very proud. Especially since my husband had to run out and I was flying solo.
Switch From Lentils or TVP
Tempeh sloppy joes work so well as a vegan sub for meat.
And in the past, I have made vegan sloppy joes using lentils or TVP. Both recipes that I love, but it’s nice to have even more ingredient options for this beloved recipe.
These vegan lentil sloppy joes are also a delicious option.
And these summer sloppy joes include some sweet, colorful corn bits.
Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 16 oz tempeh
- 1/2 cup veggie broth , or water
- 6 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp liquid aminos, tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup greens (kale, spinach or parsley), finely chopped — optional
Other Burger Ingredients
- 4 pretzel buns
- 4 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo
- bread and butter pickles, to taste
- 1 cup greens or vegan cole slaw
- Warm a skillet over high heat.
- Add in the EVOO, garlic and onion. Cook for two minutes.
- Crumble in the tempeh using your hands – or chop finely.
- Add in the broth, tomato paste, vinegar, soy sauce, maple and chili powder. Fold everything together until a thick tomato mixture forms.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, lid on, for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Fold in optional chopped greens.
- Warm buns and add toppings and the sloppy joe filling. Serve warm!